DF70 Suzuki leaking fuel from front of engine

katfish2123

Cadet
All,
I have a DF70 Suzuki, not sure what year. Ser number 07001F-861069. I had it out yesterday from 10am-5:30pm and everything was fine. Went back out to go catfishing and the engine started right up, I idled out to enough depth to take off and that is when it happened.
I noticed just before I was getting ready to take off that the engine was "missing" a little bit, shaking/surging like it has never done before. I opened the throttle to take off and the engine shut down. Immediately as the boat slowed I could smell fuel. Looked in the water near the engine and there was "plenty" of fuel in the lake. So I take the cover off the motor and there it was wet with fuel just under the big black box on the front of the engine. It appears to be hooked up to the ?throttle body? I am not sure what this part is for, but after letting it air out for a few minutes, I try to start the engine again, doesn't start on first or second try so I throttle it up just past an idle. Engine starts and everything appears to be in working order. Engine isnt missing, no leaking fuel, then it starts leaking out of what looks like it would be an overflow hole or possibly an air intake hole in that big black peice; directly in the center of the front of the motor. I cut it off and limped it back with the trolling motor. Thats where I'm at now.
Any assistance or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

katfish2123

Cadet
Re: DF70 Suzuki leaking fuel from front of engine

I just went out and took the black intake air box thing off the front of the engine and the throttle body has oil almost coating the whole thing.

I still don't understand why the fuel would leak out. could something be clogged? The motor still runs, at least it did last time I checked it last night. I just didn't want it to catch fire.

Thanks again in advance

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: DF70 Suzuki leaking fuel from front of engine

that is a fuel injected motor, so fuel should be kept under pressure in the VST.
maybe pressure regulator or needle and seat on float in VST is leaking dumping fuel into the air silenced(intake cover)