Developing Story

KaGee

Admiral
Hot off the wires...8.5 mag quake rocks Indian Ocean, triggering tsunami warning: Japan... Hold on Pacific Rim... could be a rough one.

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Developing Story

Here we go.....where do I send my donations? Might as well write a check.... WHILE I STILL CAN AFFORD A PEN!!!!!!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

8.2 quake off Sumatra; tsunami warning<br />NOAA advises evacuation of coasts within 600 miles BREAKING NEWS<br /><br />Updated: 12:25 p.m. ET March 28, 2005A large earthquake was registered Monday off Indonesia's Sumatra Island, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, news that prompted an immediate tsunami warning by another U.S. agency. <br /><br />The earthquake, with a magnitude of 8.2, "has the potential to generate a widely destructive tsunami in the ocean or seas near the earthquake," the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration warned. It advised "immediate action" including "evacuation of coasts within a thousand kilometers (600 miles) of the epicenter and close monitoring to determine the need for evacuation further away."<br /><br />Thai officials were among the first to issue a tsunami warning for the Andaman Sea, an area that saw widespread devastation from a tsunami on Dec. 26, caused by a 9.0 earthquake in the region.<br /><br />No reports of injury or damage had been received from the region. <br /><br />Monday's quake epicenter was just off the northern Sumatra coast and between two smaller islands, and located 18.6 miles underground. It occurred at around 11 p.m. local time.<br /><br />The Dec. 26 quake was also off the coast of Sumatra and just north of Monday's quake.

SoulWinner

Commander

Here is a question for you Navy guys. I have been pondering this since the big tsunami; what would happen to a submarine operating in the affested area of the ocean? When the water is displaced like that, would it make the sub an uncontrollable tube, rolling and careening around in the depths? Were there any reports of subs lost or damaged in the area following the tsunami? Just curious.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Good question SW, I know the ships afloat would be affected for sure and I would think underwater turbulence would be there also.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a good question SW. Got me to wondering too....were there any offshore boats, ships, etc that went through it (hopefully over it) last time? Must have been some out there. And with the wave traveling as fast as a jet, I can't imagine there was time to get out of the way?

gaugeguy

Captain

I guess offshore the wave stays below the surface until it gets close to land and then just rises up. So out at sea, the tsunami isn't felt on the surface. The question about subs is a good one though, where is Matt when we need him ;)

SpinnerBait_Nut

But GG, these waves are moving between 500 and 600 MPH, they have to be seen on the surface don't they?

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now that you mention it GG, I think you're right. I think this is how it works...offshore, the moving water has enough space to just be displaced. But once the wave approaches a shoreline or gets into shallower water, the wave doesn't have as many options for displacement and is forced upward. <br /><br />Does that sound right?

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> But GG, these waves are moving between 500 and 600 MPH, they have to be seen on the surface don't they?
I don't think so Les, I am pretty sure I saw an interview of some divers that hadn't gone down yet and they said they barely felt it, but I guess the divers that were underwater in some caves got thrashed around pretty good. :confused:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Hmmmmm, ok. Just seems odd, something moving that fast in the water would not be seen/felt on the surface.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Many reports say boats never felt it. Some divers close to shore felt something, but not a major problem.<br /><br />Hopefully it was a side moving earthquake and not upward moving. Only if it moves up, will it make a tsunami.<br /><br />Ken

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Yup,<br /><br />deep down they are travelling at speed with little or no amplitude. As the wave approaches the shore the speed decreases due to the "back pressure" of getting shallower. This forces the wave upwards as the amplitude increases.<br /><br />From what I understand it will have little impact on sub's as the destructive force is in the power of the oncomming water rather than the speed of the water through the deep seas.<br /><br />Would this work? A sound wave (waves are the same) at 10 000Hz reaching your ear drum or one of 40Hz, at the same volume would sound equally loud. The one at 10 000Hz has little energy whilst the one at 40Hz has substanially more and you can feel it in you gut as the bass hits you. Now the higher the frequency the less audible it is and the lower the frequency the same but at extremely low frequencies you "feel" them. Why do you feel them? Because they have energy. It is the energy that destroys. (Ever hear the party next door at midnight, you can't hear the symbals or other high pitched (fast) instruments, all you can hear is that energy from the damn bass drum and bass guitar.)<br /><br />So it is, I think, with a Tsunami, at high speed there is significantly less energy than at low speeds. The low speeds are reached when the wave reaches shallower it is then that the energy is released.<br /><br />Make sense?<br /><br />It does to me but i'm no grade A student. Anyone else?<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

SoulWinner

Commander

Andrew,<br /><br />I played electric for years. You right, standing in front of bass amps, I think I discovered the "brown tone" a couple of times :D