detente ball and spring in lower unit

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1988 40hp Johnson. Noticed lower unit oil leaking from a small hole just below water pick up. Call the guy who helped me reseal lower unit (he's also the previous owner of the motor). He said it probably fell out when he replaced the gears about 2 yrs. ago. He told me to silicone the hole up for now and he would go ahead and order the parts.<br /><br />I was wondering if it would hurt the lower unit if I ran it.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: detente ball and spring in lower unit

Just got detente ball and spring. I'm not sure it goes where I thought it would. <br /><br />Could anyone please tell me what the small hole just below the water pick up holes(screen) is for.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

It's just a drain hole (for water). What you saw was unlikely to be gear oil. More probably it was unburned OB oil. How could the guy possibly know the ball and spring, which go inside the LU were not there based on what you told him? The hole is there for a reason, don't put anything in it.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It was gear oil, milky yellow. Drained my l\u water came out first same color. Not just 2 or 3 drops, a good stream. I will get silicone out.<br /><br />The reason I say it is gear oil is because this happened while it was in my back yard. walked out to the boat and notice the oil leaking from the hole. Also the guy told me that the hole was a pressure relief hole. I am not going against your word, but do you think the detente ball will solve my problem.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just got silicone out of the hole. When I stuck small piece of wire in the hole I noticed the water screens move. So if I'm leaking gear oil it has to be coming from the top L\U seal. <br />I'll take L\U off do a pressure and vaccum test.<br />Thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Now you're doing the right thing. The detent ball and spring have zero to do with any leak. The detent is for a 'positive' neutral internal to the LU and helps the clutch dog land in the correct neutral location. Put the LU under water when you apply pressure and you'll know where it's leaking (may be more than one place).

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. WildeOne. Will do test under water ASAP.