Depth transducer mounting

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 16' Zodiac RIB with a 40 HP outboard. I want to mount a depth finder on it and have purchased a Norcross D10D depth finder. I have a couple of questions about mounting the transducer.

The prop has clockwise rotation. The depth finder manual indicates that the transducer should be mounted on the starboard side of the boat. Because the transom of the boat is narrower than a non inflatable boat my choices of location are limited. There is more room on the port side of the transom for mounting the transducer. If I mount it there how much will the performance of the depth finder be affected?

With my boat the best (easiest) place to mount the transducer is about 10 inches left of the hull centerline. Will this be too close to the motor?

There is no easy way to mount the transducer inside the hull. The hull is a closed unit and there is no way to get inside without cutting a hole in the deck.

Thanks.

saltycat

Cadet
Re: Depth transducer mounting

Hi, welcome to the forum, being a RIB I assume the boat and engine are on a trailer permanently so you don't take the engine off all the time. My suggestion is to try to install the transducer on the engine, I know I"ve seen somewhere but I cannot remember where but I'm sure is possible.