Dependable Towing Vehicle

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer
Found my project boat and the only thing I had to pull it with was my Dodge pickup. 1987 318hp = 9-10 MPG. Ouch. Not only that but it's a farm truck and both doors don't close very well due to close encounters with posts etc. So what's a guy gonna do, I mean if your going to restore a boat you have to have a smooth ride to pull it with right? Found a creampuff Dodge Dakota 19 MPH hwy with a 6 cyl engine 1995 one owner that was repainted within the last 3 to 4 years I'd guess. Got it back from SC yesterday and hooked the boat up today for a test drive. Just as I figured you hardly knew it was behind you. Now I feel good about towing down to the coast of SC or better yet, my beloved (childhood memories) Venice FL or even Stuart FL where I really found out what boating was all about.

Hope ya'll find a good match too!

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Dependable Towing Vehicle

Congratulations, I think?
Just a couple of questions/comments:
What are the specs on your project boat? and Trailer? Length, width and weight.

Is your Dakota equipped for towing? Proper class frame mounted hitch, tow package, etc.?

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Not to worry I hope, she's a 15'6" Glastron powered by 70 hp Evinrude vintage 1977. Total weight of boat motor & trailer is 1,440 lbs on a registered scale. Bumper rating is 2,000 with max tounge weight of 200 lbs. Since I can lift it easily even with my bad back I'd guess around 80-100. I bought one of these trucks from a neighbor for my son around 2 years ago, and have been looking for one for me ever since. His is manual shift but I guess I'll be an old (nah) and stick with the automatic.

What do you use for towing your rig?

By the way, it was affordable which is of major concern to me since aforementioned son is starting his junior year in college this fall. Within limits, we all assign priorities and this past year has sure been a challange for all of us with the economy in the state it is.

Well here's hoping we have smooth sea's ahead

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Post a picture! I tow my 1964 17'6" crestliner with either my dad's chevy equinox 3.4L V6 or my brother's S10 with the 4.3L V6 4x4 and a 5 speed.

The equinox pulls it alright could stand to have more power.
Don't even know the boat is there with the S10, the trailer axle even broke last sumemr and I didn't feel a thing. Problem with that one is that its a bumper hitch so the skeg drags a bit when going up a steep hill.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Will get back in a few days with pics cause we're going down to Hilton Head for a few days vacation. Got to check out all the ramps and marina's bait shops etc. If we find a head boat we may even go offshore for the first time in over 15 years. Shame the costs are so high now for a regular Charter boat. Out of my price range anyway and since project boat isn't ready will have to put off taking her down till next spring or summer. God I miss the ocean. Oops Take the offshore back, a few years back we did fish with my nephew on his boat just offshore Venice. (Just in case he might be on this site also).

zach103

Commander

lift the motor.. and buy a hitch.. the bumper or bumper brackets could rust and you might not know and next thing you know bye bye boat