Denali AutoRide airshocks took a dump

smitty28

Seaman Apprentice
So last week i noticed that my 02 yukon denali xl had a grinding noise everytime i hit the brakes...Of course first thing i thought, it was time to replace the brake pads..So i went to the local auto shop and picked up some new pads and upon jacking up the vehicle, I noticed one of the rear shocks was leaking.

I inspected the brake pads and they all look fine, so I i started researching my shocks online because they looked very odd to me..(wires connected,sensors etc) I found out they are autoleveling air suspension.. (so much for an inexpensive replacement)

I found some Arnott replacements for $360 for both side. My only concern is, if I buy these how can I be certain that all the other components of this Autoride system is functional? Im worried that since the shock blew, the compressor may have been running constantly and that may need replacement also. Currently there is no light in the vehicle indicating a susspension servicing.

Anyone ever deal with this kind of system? Suggestions? Advice? PS. The vehicle has about 140,000 on it and I tow a 25' Larson cabrio with it.

sasto

Captain
Re: Denali AutoRide airshocks took a dump

On a simular vehicle I have, 08 Escalade, I can hear the compressor run at the rear, very audible. On another Caddy the comp. is under the hood, very audible too and developed a leak and ran constantly for along time with no damage. Sorry I'm not much help otherwise. Good luck!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I'm surprised you haven't heard the compressor running. Even with a properly functioning air ride system I'd think there would be a little bit of compressor noise. I know there is on Expys. If you haven't already, you should post this on a GMC truck forum. Truckforum.org comes to mind. Also, phone calls to the dealer for info don't cost anything. Might be surprised how forthcoming they are if you ask specific questions and don't waste their time. The nuclear option would be to rip out the air ride stuff and replace it with a traditional suspension system. It has been done. Good luck.

smitty28

Seaman Apprentice

I probably heard it, just never knew what it was...ill check tonight near the rear if I can hear it running...im likingthe response that sasto had, that his compressor ran with no damage :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yeah, if the compressor was fine before it probably still is. I assume you won't want to drive it much if any in its present condition, but there should be a cutoff switch.

smitty28

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah its undrivable as is.....lots of "grinding" going on... i assume the chassis is sitting on the axle or something...its wierd because the noise is extra loud when you hit the breaks.... I have also noticed for the last 6 mos that the truck started to slightly pull to the right, I had the alignment checked and they said it was perfect (but still pulled) I bet its because the suspension was starting to fail...i guess im kinda excited to eliminate the pulling as well

robert graham

Admiral

I bought a Buick Roadmaster to pull my boat with and it had air/auto leveling feature on it. First thing I did was disconnect all that and install 2 new air shocks on the back with an air line and valve at the back behind the license plate. I keep 95 lbs. in shocks around town and about 115lbs. when I'm pulling the boat. Screw the automatic stuff and I can adjust my own air! No problems!

sasto

Captain

I bought a Buick Roadmaster to pull my boat with and it had air/auto leveling feature on it. First thing I did was disconnect all that and install 2 new air shocks on the back with an air line and valve at the back behind the license plate. I keep 95 lbs. in shocks around town and about 115lbs. when I'm pulling the boat. Screw the automatic stuff and I can adjust my own air! No problems!

I second that motion!

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah its undrivable as is.....lots of "grinding" going on... i assume the chassis is sitting on the axle or something...its wierd because the noise is extra loud when you hit the breaks.... I have also noticed for the last 6 mos that the truck started to slightly pull to the right, I had the alignment checked and they said it was perfect (but still pulled) I bet its because the suspension was starting to fail...i guess im kinda excited to eliminate the pulling as well

Just as a thought, the shocks should not be causing any kind of grinding at all, not matter what is going on with the shocks. Unless you mean when the vehicle nose dives when you brake it grinds then and only for a short period while the vehicle nose dives. If you are hitting the brakes and are getting a constant grinding its not the shocks grinding.

smitty28

Seaman Apprentice

Ill be perfectly happy if I install new autoride shocks and everything works,, im really not in the mood this time of year to be messing too much with it and throwing endless $$ to finally fix it...all this modern crap sux sometimes...

smitty28

Seaman Apprentice

Just as a thought, the shocks should not be causing any kind of grinding at all, not matter what is going on with the shocks. Unless you mean when the vehicle nose dives when you brake it grinds then and only for a short period while the vehicle nose dives. If you are hitting the brakes and are getting a constant grinding its not the shocks grinding.

I tend to agree with you, however, im betting that something isnt sitting correctly and is causing the noise, but first things first, gonna replace the shocks and see what happens...guess ill go from there.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Ill be perfectly happy if I install new autoride shocks and everything works,, im really not in the mood this time of year to be messing too much with it and throwing endless $$ to finally fix it...all this modern crap sux sometimes...

I agree. Last month I traded my Sierra in on an Expedition. For the first time in my entire life I don't have a pickup, but that's another story. Anywho, I looked at several and quickly determined I didn't want the air ride. Just seems like something else with multiple components to break.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Surely this vehicle still has traditional springs ? Or is the back end all sagged down ? Only way I can imagine grinding is if the back end is flat and its sitting down and lacks real springs under a truck ? Ei yi yi.

I gotta believe the compressor is working if you heard air leaking from a shock.
The rubber gets abraded and junked up over time what you are experiencing is common. I liked the air ride Lincolns of course I can service it all myself and the auto leveling function is very nice. Manual air hose. :rolleyes:
Surprised you didnt hear it or know you had it, as mentioned those compressors are very noisy. Many older cars would even turn a light on the dash "Car is Leveling".
Used many Arnott pieces with good luck. Would love to hear the GM price on those bad boys.

smitty28

Seaman Apprentice

Im hearing stories of dealerships charging $500+ a corner...sheesh... just ordered new Arnott rears...should have em in a few days..Installation will have to wait till early next week...I got some deer huntin to do this weekend :D