Demolition Derbies

11 footer

Lieutenant
I figured I'd post this here, knowing all the true rednecks we have :p <br /><br />Anyone do demolition derbies?<br /><br />Me and a few buddies have access to a big open field, TONS of land and nothing but flat mud and high grass, with a few small trees. We have been taking junk cars over when we can get them and beating the snot out of them. We've been reluctant to smash into each other, we really don't know the right way to prep a car for that.<br />I've looked around, theirs no place around here has demolition derbies, i can't even find a place to watch one, never mind enter a car<br /><br />Is it different down south? What do you guys do to a car to make it safe before wreaking it?<br /><br />Any suggestions as to the "right" way to do this, if there is one?<br /><br />We've been having WAY to much fun :D We had a '85 Camaro and a mini van today. We have to learn how to do it right and keep everyone safe, I took a tree branch to the face threw the window of the camaro tonight :rolleyes:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Demolition Derbies

I always wanted to see a DemoDerby with all PWCs. Run it in a gator hole.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

11.gif
I always wanted to see a DemoDerby with all PWCs. Run it in a gator hole.
A mighty fine idea....

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

You really need a full roll cage, and a good seat belt and a helmet.<br /><br />Plus, watch out for the gas tank!<br /><br />Check out<br /><br />www.speedo69.com<br /><br />Ken

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Remove all glass including headlights.<br />Remove all grill components.<br />Full face helmet.<br />Seat and shoulder harness.<br />Replacing gas tank with a small 5 gallon fuel cell is a good idea.<br />Protect your drive axle and tires from direct hits.<br />Some guys reinforce the bumpers and some even weld the suspension parts in place.<br />Remove all objects from the inside of the car.<br />Actual modaiications allowed will vary in a real demo.<br />Never ever ever hit the drivers door. Doing so will get you thrashed if the driver can get his hands on you.<br />Do your hitting with the rear corners as that will keep your car running.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hey Ryan, In the beginning of September they hold them at the VT State Fair in Rutland. If you contact the fair office you can probably get a set of rules. It's open to everyone.<br /><br />Bob

KaGee

Admiral

Demolition Derby??<br /><br />Thought that was Rush Hour in any major city.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Demolition Derby???<br /><br />I thought that was anytime the wife was behind the wheel! ;) :eek:

SoulWinner

Commander

Ok, one rule of demo derby is that drivers doors are strictly off limits (for obvious reasons). As for the info posted above, most guys around here also move the battery into the interior or trunk of the vehicle and placed in a bolted down marine battery box. Same with the fuel cell moved into the trunk. There should also be a safety person that can stop the derby at any time in the event of injury or fire. For best results, add alcohol.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I have run two derbies. We weren't allowed to reinforce anything except to weld the doors shut. Move the gas tank into the trunk and the battery inside the drivers area. Someplaces allowes all kinds of roll bars and cement in the doors. Ours were strictly stock. Its one of the funnest things you'll ever do.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I've driven the equivalent over here-years ago.<br />We call it Banger racing.<br />Mods were:-<br /><br />All glass removed/smashed out.Wire mesh front and drivers side window.<br /><br />Radiator inside car (stops it getting crushed)<br />Gas tank inside centre of car with sealed cap and anti-spill breather.<br /><br />Minimum 2 acro-props behind drivers seat-bolted to roof and floor with at least one cross-brace (this stops the roof coming down on you if you roll). We used to use a full 12 bar scaffolding rollcage bolted in.<br /><br />Drivers door chained shut and a piece of armco bolted across it.<br /><br />4 point racing harness<br /><br />Headrest and sometimes neck restraint collar.<br /><br />Crash helmet<br /><br />Fire resistant overalls.<br /><br />A leather jacket stops bruising from the harness on impact too.<br /><br />I loved it-only gave it up because I lost my job at the time and it wasn't cheap.I used to love "hare and hounds"...one banger tows a caravan, the rest of the pack have to smash it apart...

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One other thing to keep in mind is contamination to the environment???? If you have leaks, {oil, anti freeze, gas, battery, gear oil, grease etc...}which you will, you may find yourself in front of a judge trying to figure out how you are going to clean up an oil spill. I would get with the local powers to be and find out if you need permits etc... Some townships don't take kindly to ruined land because of junk and oil being dumped into the ground. Better to find out what you can do before you have to pay thousands in clean up cost and fines?????????????

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

There are so many tricks to keep your car running longer. The Chrysler Imperials are the best car, so are outlawed at most derbies. <br />Have them here, about 4 a year. It is the stupidest redneck sport of them all, but I love it. <br />We now have a 4 cylinder class, front wheel drives. Those cars run forever. <br />Have also seen demo derbies with motorcycles, pickups, busses, and once with old farm combines.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Have a look at some of the UK sites- a google search for "banger racing" will keep you busy for a while. We did Reliant Robin and 2CV races too-massive fun, spend most of your time rolling... :)

11 footer

Lieutenant

An update,<br /><br />We got two more cars, a 1986 or 7 Grandmarques and a little 1980's Nissan fourbanger FWD station wagon.<br /><br />I wasn't to hot to trot on the Nissan a first, so I took the Mercury, that was a misstake!! The little FWD cars are the best and raceing in the mud. I was in the Mercury with another kid in the Nissan, the litttle FWD killed me at racing a mud oval track. We haven't been doing and mods to the cars for smashing them into eachother (waste of time) but we had one pretty good crash, I was behind the Nissan doing about 40 trying to catch him on a straght away, and he slams on the breaks, well the big Mercury doesn't have very good breaks, plus we where on mud, I slammed right into the back of the nissan, here was the result:<br /><br /> http://photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/?action=view&current=1feild.jpg <br /><br /> http://photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/?action=view&current=1feild2.jpg <br /><br /> http://photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/?action=view&current=1feild4.jpg <br /><br />and the little Nissan thats outlasting all the other cars:<br /><br /> http://photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/?action=view&current=1feild5.jpg

brother chris

Commander

Another thing: you should put one piece of angle iron, the length of the car, on each side, to protect someone accidently smashing into the one of the doors and crushing your legs. <br />Every demo I have seen, the cars had the angle iron on them. <br />Race safe and have fun. <br />I also like what SW had to say about the alcohol.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Still think you need to go a bit further...with practice you can get results like THIS... :D <br /><br />
95.15.jpg
<br /><br />I'm sure this kind of result is something to do with not being allowed guns. Very little seems to beat the Brits for proper non-firearm related psychosis :)

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

One of the guys that works for me runs in the derby at the local county fairs. We love to watch, but I'm too old to do it myself. Bones can't take it...