Democracy is Flawed.

Kiwi Phil

Commander
As I grow older I become clearer in my views and opinions, gruffer in my delivery of them, and generally a grunpy old koot. And I am proud of it.<br /><br />I have this incredible belief that our biggest problem today, is that we have allowed the weaklings of our society to have a say and determine policy and direction.<br /> <br />I also believe the weak make up about 90=% of any society. These people always band together in pathetic groups to exert pressure on political leaders (eg the car window signs 'I fish and I vote' meaning if you don't give our small bunch of idiots what we want, we won't vote for you.)<br /><br />As we know elections these days are very close affairs and the finals are often decided by a minority vote in a handful of seats.<br /><br />The results are incompetent Politicians, who realise if they do not pander to the pathetic weaklings in our society, then they are NOT going to get elected, so our Politicians have to go with the flow. The result is poor political leadership.<br /><br />Ask yourself when you last had a strong political leader. It has been a long time in this country.<br /><br />Now I have had a grizzle, I will put forward what I believe is a solution.<br /><br />Democracy as we know it is flawed.<br /><br />Yes there should be 1 person 1 vote, but I also believe that<br /><br />1. For every $5,000 tax you pay per annum you get another vote.<br /><br />2. For every person you employ you get another vote.<br /><br />3. For every child you raise and educate to a specific standard without handouts, you get another vote.<br /><br />I have followed most threads on this channel and there are a lot of rants and issues that could be solved by society very easily if we did not have to consider the weaklings pathetic rhetoric.<br /><br />Strong leadership is needed and the strong and committed in our community should be the ones deciding direction.<br /><br />How's that for something from 'The Far Side".<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Democracy is Flawed.

dont agree with the rant - however the US is a republic not a democracy.<br /><br />Certain things are democratic here, like voting.<br /><br />However the ability for the huddled masses to make a difference is what keeps america strong.<br /><br />going with the "flow" I think does work that keeps the majority of the people happy verus keeping the minority happy making the majority mad leading to the majority doing something about the minority.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I agree that something is wrong. And it is as Phil says---the weaklings, inept, and incompetent have too much influence.<br /><br />America is supposed to be a republic, but has been operating more like a democracy of late, and a corrupted one at that (out-of-control judiciary). I have no idea what's up down under (no pun intended), though, other than some hideous stripping away of gun rights.

one more cast

Captain

That doesn't even make any sense... The weaklings are to strong! That is one of them oxy-morons.

treedancer

Commander

We could send the reverend Pat Robertson over to you maybe with your influence you could get him nationalized and let him run for president or some political office. Sounds like you and him have something in common.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Kiwi Phil:<br />Yes there should be 1 person 1 vote, but I also believe that<br /><br />1. For every $5,000 tax you pay per annum you get another vote.
so the rich would get richer hmmmm oh wait this is allready happening.<br /><br />
2. For every person you employ you get another vote.
That way the bigger the corp the better the tax break ooopppss allready happening.<br /><br />
3. For every child you raise and educate to a specific standard without handouts, you get another vote.
Isn't this how welfare started the more kids you have {make} the more money you get.<br /><br />
Strong leadership is needed and the strong and committed in our community should be the ones deciding direction.
strong leadership and being rich are different things just because someone can own a corp, has money to raise 52 kids, or makes millions does not mean they will make good leaders. I can prove this, just look at who is running the country now.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Strong leadership does not appear because no one in office wants to make an unpopular stand. If the politicians weren't worried about getting reelected, they could make decisions that, although aren't popular, that would fix a lot of problems. Term limits for all!!

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Democracy is an experiment, the outcome of which is yet to be decided.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

As my cousin Winstion Churchill said, <br /><br />"Democracy is an imperfect form of government. It just happens to be less imperfect than any other form of government."<br /><br /> ;)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Democracy is flawed because it lowers standards to the lowest common denominator. <br /><br />When our leaders make decisions based on the latest poll, or whichever special interest group is making the most noise at the moment, you have (in effect) a democracy. The leaders of a republic make decisions based on the excercise of sound judgement (theoretically), taking the will of the people into account.<br /><br />Did I just make a case for term limits? Didn't intend to, but it kind of sounds like it.<br /><br />A strong leader is one who can take an unpopular stand and make it popular.<br /><br />Republic: the worst form of government ever devised, except for all the others.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

One of the problems is that we have morphed into a nation with professional politicians, whose primary goal is to advance their careeers and ambitions as far as possible, not to serve the best interests of the public. Almost as frightening is that the secondary interest of our professional politicians is usually to optimize the environment for their political party, again, regardless of the interests of the public. <br /><br />We elect the best politicians, not the people best qualified to do the job. How to fix it? I have no idea, but I'm ashamed and embarrrased when I look at the calibre of politicians in these times as compared with those in place around the time our country was founded...<br /><br />On the other hand, I believe Winston Churchill's statement is still valid: "Democracy is the worst form of government except all others."

D

DJ

We elect the best politicians, not the people best qualified to do the job. How to fix it? I have no idea, but I'm ashamed and embarrrased when I look at the calibre of politicians today as compared with those in place around the time our country was founded...<br /><br />
How to fix it-EASY. Take away the life long benefits of elected public servants. By doing so we will get truly dedicated people, as the founding fathers meant it to be.<br /><br />As a "sleepy" electorate, we let this happen to ourselves.<br /><br />The Congress (US) and Senate are now a "MACHINE". Stopping this nonsense is going to take a serious groundswell of voters. Not to mention, we are now up against an out of control Judiciary.<br /><br />We're not up to that challenge.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> <br />The Congress (US) and Senate are now a "MACHINE". Stopping this nonsense is going to take a serious groundswell of voters. Not to mention, we are now up against an out of control Judiciary.<br /><br />We're not up to that challenge.
Unfortunately, I'd submit that the Democratic and Republican parties are also machines, perhaps bigger and more powerful than any of the others you mentioned. <br /><br />Agree that any fix will require a serious groundswell of voters. It will also have to come from within BOTH parties. As long as our nation is harshly split, and with the degree of intolerance and rancor we're now experiencing, nothing will change. Maybe there is a self serving reason for the two political parties to encourage division and hatred of the other. hmmm.....

D

DJ

LakeLivin,<br /><br />We're on the same page, just different words.

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

DJ, <br />Is it public servants or is it public serpents?