-deleted-

splitshot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Engine Accident Out of Water

i would definately change the impeller and i wouldnt worry about the motor itself, especially if the temp alarm didnt go off

bigbroncoxlt

Seaman Apprentice

Might want to replace the water pump impeller just to be safe, but if its pumping water and didn't over heat 15 seconds isn't going to hurt your engine.

BUHurricane

Cadet

thanks for your replies, its been two years with this impeller anyways, i guess its time for a change

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Change impeller to be safe. I doubt anything else got hurt in that short space of time.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

If you change the impeller it might also be wise to check for any rubber exhaust seals.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Water provides the "lube" that keeps an impeller from disintegrating. Impellers melt down pretty fast when the motor is started and run "dry." Yours was fresh from the water, so it probably wasn't running dry while you pulled it out and parked your rig. But why take a chance, your impeller might be damaged...replace it now, you'll probably do this soon anyway if you follow routine maintenance schedule.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I know this goes against sound advice.....

and the word has always been( although i never knew it) NEVER run your motor out of water..

I have for 20 years started my outboard on the trailer in the parking lot just to make sure it fired up before i went through all the trouble of launching. and I never had an impeller failure.

as a matter of fact I bought a 70 hp this feb from a guy who couldnt run it in water...we couldnt start it but we cranked it over a bunch of times to check spark....on each cylider, and to check compression.

then i found this site and was worried about the impeller...so i tore her down...the impeller had already been recently replaced and was brand spanking new looking still even after all the cranking we did.

I bought a new impeller and you could tell the difference between them!!!

all that cranking was with out a DROP OF WATER..

but I guess it pays to be carfefull......I wont do it any more...

just thought Id pass that on..

bob

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Fifteen to twenty seconds of running isn't enough to get most motors hot enough to do damage. If you haven't changed the impeller in a couple of years, though, you should probably go ahead and change it now.

In my opinion, the usual position about running impellers dry for a few seconds is probably overtstated in most cases. With the impeller, just as with your pistons, heat is the enemy and the impeller isn't going to get very hot in 15 seconds either.

That said, running a motor dry is really unecessary so why do it? If you aren't sure that it is running well, the time to check on it is at home, not after you have loaded a bunch of stuff in the boat or tow vehicle, packed lunch and driven all the way to the launch. Check the motor in the driveway, with muffs on it. While your at it, check some of the other things that will be important for the day on the water. You don't have to go through an exhaustive list each time, but if you just check a couple of things, and rotate those items every time you go out, you get in a pattern which will make sure all of your gear is in good shape.