DELAWHERE ??

crab bait

Captain
my friend KIWI asked to hear more about my home state .. an i will.. i will rite untill i don't want to ,, an rite somemore later .. when it becomes work then it's no longer fun .. an i'm all about fun.. so here goes....... delaware is the second smallest state it's 90 someodd miles long & 30 miles wide at it's widest.. but we are called the DIAMOND STATE by thomas jefferson an it still sticks today... small in size but big in value.. delaware is also the FIRST STATE ,which we take great pride in.. the first state of 50 great states that form the , UNITED STATES OF AMERICA... there no reason to come to delaware,, the name comes from an english noble who was givin some land by the king .. his name LORD De Lawar.. delaware is middle of the eastern seaboard .. it's not spectacular beauty , that's what the other states are about.. but are the ( i claim ) the hub-of-the-world.. 2hours to NYC,, 2.5 to d.c.,, 45min. to philly.. the northern part is hilly & the southern is pancake flat & mostly farms.. but the farmers seem to be growin' more houses then corn these days..WILMINGTON our big city is the corparate (sp) captital of the world cause it's so easy to do .. an for only 50 bux, & one person can wear all the " hats " pres., v.p., sec., tres. it's stupid easy along with low property tax ,low bussness tax ,& no sales tax . DUH !! no wonder were runnin' outta room.. ( to be continued )

D

DJ

Re: DELAWHERE ??

Crab bait,<br /><br />You say you're in the "hub of the world"? I would say you are smack dab between Sodom and Gomorah! :D

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Crab - thanks for the interesting info. I like the sound of having the lowest taxes etc. Your state government is on to the right idea. No wonder it's popular and the state has high value. I'll bet a lot of business development happens there.<br /><br />How are the boating and fishing conditions ? What's it like this time of year ?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I knew a State Trooper from Delaware and he used to laugh about making boarder to boarder runs on the interstate when he got bored :eek: Nice state! <br /><br />Bob

crab bait

Captain

well you got that rite DJ ..they say back-in-the-day a squirrel could go from tree to tree from maine to georgia an never touch the ground.the same squirrel today could still do it ,, AN NEVER TOUCH A TREE .. there are more boats regestered here than anywhere .. cause of no tax & you don't have to be a resident.. delaware is also the chemical capital of the world.. thanks greatly to uncle duppy , that's the DUPONT COMPANY to you outsiders.. which own the state but the state say no the people own the state.. WHATEVER.. dupont started here in the early 1800's making gunpower along the still beautiful brandywine river. delaware is also top state for cancer .. an the state doesn't have a clue as to why .. they just don't know why .. we also have the number 3 superfund site ( that's the third largest haz-mat site in the nation ) with a huge vitle water aquafer directly underneath.. but other than that it's a great place to live.. to be continued..

crab bait

Captain

but heck in a 5 mile ring there is a boat us, boater's world, west marine, an afew local but huge stores like eastern marine..delaware is on a penninsula called the delmarva.. to the east is the mighty delaware river/bay to the west is a small strip of the state of maryland then the chesapeake bay.. at the bottom & lower east is the atlantic ocean.. the western & southern boarder with maryland is the mason dixon line.. so delaware is offically a northern state.. but it was in termoil during the civil war.. it was the state where one brother went north & another brother went south.. delaware was caugtht in the middle.. heck, i worked in a old textile mill along the brandywine after high school .. the mill made uniforms for both the northern & southern army's .. delaware was a cruicle state for the underground railroad.. a series of stops & houses & inns an such to help run away slaves escape to freedom.. delaware always had work ever since the jump..even during the great depression of the 30's, people could always find work here .. back in that day it was big for ship building & rail road car building.. delaware always had a job for someone in need.. ( to be continued)

crab bait

Captain

delaware had one revolutionary battle.. the battle of cooches bridge..it was scirmish battle of the main force. when the redcoats set sail from new york to take philly ( the nations captital at the time ) ,they knew not to sail up the delaware because of mass booby traps laid by the colonist.. so they sailed up the cheasapeake bay to the " head-of-the-elk, ( the top of the bay in elkton maryland ) an traveled on foot to philly . ( i'd say 60 miles ) along the way a scouting party came to cooches bridge where a fight commenced,which we lost.. the main redcoat army marched there way an had to cross the brandywine , an could only ford the creek at chadds ford pennslyvannia.. which is just a few miles across the delaware's border. you see whatever is just across our line we claim it anyway ,lol.. where gen. washington with french troops under gen layfatte were waiting for them .. an the battle of the brandywine commenced.. to be continued

crab bait

Captain

the battle took place on a extereamly hot summer's day on a Quarker's farm .. it was the first battle of the two army's . all before it was militicia / minute men.. the redcoats had a new experimental rifle called the fergusen rifle.. it was special cause it was a breech loader . very revolutionary at the time ( no pun intended ). IT WASN'T A CARTRIGE. it was still power & shot but no wad & ramrod an was all done at the breech..it was much much faster an could be loaded in the prone posistion. they had them in limited quanities to see how they faired.. the conntennintal army lost that day . the redcoats marched on to take philadelpia an occupy the nations capital .. it was a bleak day for the 13 colonies.. but we had a little luck .. the british command didn't like the new fergusen rifle an scrapped it's production .. if this didn't happen ,, we be buy things with bob & quid. ( to be continued )

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Crab - This is very interesting and thanks for increasing my education on your part of the world. I also have a keen interest in history and the name Delaware now has a lot more significance after reading your posts.<br /><br />What area of Delaware are you from ? Where do you fish and what do you catch ?

crab bait

Captain

DELAWARE has had it's share of pirates to . beings the nations captital was just up river .. delaware had some bad bad men roamin' around.. a town of BLACKBIRD DELAWARE was originally called BLACKBEARD but MR. TEACH ( blackbeard-the-pirate ) changed it to blackbird as it's known today.. so as not to draw attention to himself..ditto for a little town of KITTS HUMMOCK DELAWARE . changed from KIDDS HAMMOCK as to not draw attention to himself.. to be continued

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man i lived in Delaware for 17 years. In a little town north of Wilmington called Hockessin. Delaware is very beautiful for 6 months out of the year - spring and fall. In the winter it is cold as hell but always 1 degree warm enough to rain instead of snow. Grey, wet and crowded. That is delaware in the winter. In the summer, it is hot as hell - 90 every day. Hazy, hot, grey, and full of summer beach goers. Delaware has good blue fishing and striper. Freshwater fishing is pretty lame though. Access to the ocean is limited to the southern part of the state, but ramps and rivers are everywhere. If you like rain, heavy traffic, living amoungst millionairs, and being near a lot of good cities, Delaware is for you!

crab bait

Captain

HEY HEY ,i'm tryin' to convey that were all a bunch of rednecks here...!! good fly fishin' in the brandywine, white clay creek.. great pond fishin'in slower delaware..an ther's the BEAUTIFUL chesapeake bay.. i agree,, there's only 3 seasons here.. fishin' season, huntin' season,, an tourist ( touron )season... an our # one cash crop is houses.. man-o-man,, can these farmers grow some houses... anyway , i personally resent that,, what's wrong with millionaires , anyway !!! ;)

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mr Bait where in DE do you live I was Born in DE and graduated from Christiana High School. I now live in Mississippi about 8 mile south of memphis tho I do come up there often for work and alway find time to visit home. :cool: