Deformed water pump housing, sign of overheat?

wild.coast

Cadet
Doing a 100hr service on a new to me Yamaha F50 outboard. I noticed that the inside of the water pump housing (which is plastic) looked like it had melted a little bit! :oops:

Outboards and boat engines are new to me, so curious about others' opinions.

This is how the inside of the housing is supposed to look like:
1663401690659.png

Notice the little 'wings' facing inwards towards the drive shaft hole.

Now this is how my housing looks like with the metal insert cartridge removed:
1663401838295.png
1663401873984.png

Not sure if you can tell from the photos, but looks like those wings melted and then the molten plastic was flattened and pressed in by the metal insert cartridge. You can see the plastic folded inwards a bit on the edges. Sure looks like heat damage to me, but I'm not sure if that's just normal wear or a sign that the engine had a major incident??

The other thing that makes me think so is the state of the thermostat rubber seal:
1663402181696.png

If it is indeed an overheat incident, I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be checking/replacing/doing to ensure this engine runs reliably going forward?

I currently have it hooked up to a Rydlyme acid flush for a few hours (circulating through engine using a sump pump) to flush out any potential deposits in the water channels.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Don’t see anything to be alarmed about.

Pretty sure the housing is ABS. If that is the case, it is highly susceptible to wear. Wear could have been caused by a loose fitting liner cup.

Hard to tell from pictures but the rubber looks old and swollen, not melted.

How old is the motor?
How many hours?

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe motor was run dry for a few seconds at some point in time…I once forgot to hook up the water to the motor and in about 20 seconds my impeller and plastic body showed signs of melting/overheating….I just replaced both items for about $60….helps me remember now to hook up water!

wild.coast

Cadet
Don’t see anything to be alarmed about.

Pretty sure the housing is ABS. If that is the case, it is highly susceptible to wear. Wear could have been caused by a loose fitting liner cup.

Hard to tell from pictures but the rubber looks old and swollen, not melted.

How old is the motor?
How many hours?

Motor is a 2014 model. Not sure about hours, it was used commercially for a kite boarding school, so short distance run and lots of idling time while teaching. River delta up a PNW fjord, so partially salty water.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are still some folks who fire up outboards without water to the pump.-----They quickly heat up the liner and damage the housing.-----Replace this housing as it is cheap.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Motor is a 2014 model. Not sure about hours, it was used commercially for a kite boarding school, so short distance run and lots of idling time while teaching. River delta up a PNW fjord, so partially salty water.
So until now this motor has lived a "very busy" lifeProbably needed some overdue maintenance.Replace everything you can with new and oem if you can. Complete waterpump kit and tstats ,gaskets etc.Charlie