Deformed Fish in Denver

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
DENVER - Fish with both male and female sex tissue have been discovered near Colorado wastewater treatment plants on the South Platte River and Boulder Creek. <br /> <br />Scientists are trying to determine if chemicals that disrupt hormones, such as estrogen, are responsible for the gender-bending phenomenon.<br /><br />Colorado biologist John Woodling discovered the deformed white suckers about two years ago near two wastewater discharge pipes.<br /><br />Female fish far outnumber the male fish near the plants.<br /><br />"This is the first thing that I've seen as a scientist that really scared me," said Woodling, 58, a retired fisheries biologist with the Colorado Division of Wildlife who is working with the University of Colorado.<br /><br />Scientists haven't pinpointed which chemicals might be causing the deformities, but endocrine disrupters that mimic or disrupt hormones, especially estrogen, are a leading suspect.<br /><br />Such chemicals are believed to come from excreted birth-control hormones, natural female hormones and commonly used detergents that are flushed down toilets and drains.<br /><br />"We're all concerned about it," said Barbara Biggs, Metro Wastewater Reclamation District's governmental officer. "We don't want to leap to any conclusions yet. There are a lot of estrogen sources in the environment."<br /><br />In the last 10 years, scientists have documented the impact of endocrine disrupters on everything from British trout to alligators and polar bears.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Deformed Fish in Denver

geeze, no wonder so many young men born and raised around metropolitan areas that treat and recycle waste water are going hairless and acting effeminate. <br />I thought it was just modern political correctness that encouraged men to explore their feminine side.

KaGee

Admiral

Such chemicals are believed to come from excreted birth-control hormones, natural female hormones and commonly used detergents that are flushed down toilets and drains.<br />
Yep, sure looks like the N.O.W. gang is out to shrink the testicles of all manhood.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It sounds to me like those fish were transplanted from San Francisco. :D <br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Both sets of "tissue", huh?<br /><br />Maybe they are just trying to accomodate VP Cheney. :D