Deep frying over an open fire

LadyFish

Admiral
GOTCHA...you thought this was a joke didn't ya? :p <br /><br />Actually, I've been selected by our cook team again to enter my recipe for a local wild game cookoff. I took first place the last entry. :) <br /><br />A portion of the recipe I want to enter has to be deep fried. The clincher is that propane and/or electricity cannot be used...so there is no real way to regulate the temperature.<br /><br />I need the temp to be 350-375 degrees for about 6 minutes only.<br /><br />Have any of you ever tried to heat oil to that temp over a fire and keep it there using a cast iron kettle? :confused:

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Deep frying over an open fire

Build your fire in advance. Take some coals(Red ones) and put them in a hole in the ground about 6inches deep. than set you pot on top of it if it starts to slow add a few more hot coals, if it gets going to fast(boiling oil) add some dirt to cover some coals. Works good for cans,and fish/steaks wrapped in foil.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Try an oven thermometer in the bottom of the kettle, or suspend it with a couple of bits of wire. If you can read it through the oil, that should give you what you want. :D <br /><br />Good luck.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Do it all the time with a cast iron dutch oven.<br /><br />Either search the web and you'll find lots of details on how to regulate the temperature of a dutch oven without a thermometer. <br /><br />Or cozy up to a local Boy Scout.<br />Just don't tell Mr. LF

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Cast iron dutch oven is the way to go. People bake coblers, etc with them all the time keeping the temp regulated.<br /><br />Depending on the size of dutch oven you have, you place certain amounts of coal under and on the lid. There's a guideline of how many coals to get a desired temperature.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

1- candy thermometer to get/check oil temps<br />2- use a tripod with an adjustable grill/grate<br />3- long leather gloves<br />4- use just enough oil.. too much oil and you'll be fighting with it to get it there and keep it a consistant temp<br /><br />just my .02

D

DJ

What? You can't use propane and propane accesories in TEXAS! It's a travesty I tell ya. :D <br /><br />I've done it on a regular grill with charcoal. You have to use a deep pot otherwise you'll be fighting flare ups.<br /><br />Also, good advice on the thermometer. You DO NOT want the oil to burn or "flash off".

Realgun

Commander

What is the wild game you get to cook LF?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I didn't know you could deep fry armadillos, LF.<br /><br />I always just spitted them. :)

D

DJ

Hmmmm. Armadillos on the half shell?

LadyFish

Admiral

Realgun, I can choose anything I want since the Chef's Special is not limited to any particular meat.<br /><br />My last entry was seafood. I'm leaning toward seafood again this year but will have a better idea after our cooks meeting tonight.<br /><br />My entry last year was asian marinated shrimp and scallop kabobs on a bed of fruit salsa. I think after eating all the heavy meat the judges needed something lite and refreshing.

agrazela

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmm, a giant kettle of oil over an open flame...<br /><br />Keep some class B fire extinguishers handy!!!

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boy Scout Leader's advice.<br />Notinbig is on the money, you dont want to heat your oil on the grill. You are definitely going to want to put a dutch oven on a nice bed of coals. Wait till you got some coals that are red then tranfer about 8 to the hole (just about a 1 in on all sides of the oven and deep enough to get 3 in below the pot and 3in above the oven. If the pot is not heating fast enough add more coals to the side of the oven. If you do it this way you can get the oil as hot as you need it. Then place your items to be fried in the oven. The good thing about this method is you can fry your items with the lid off if you need to watch your items. Dirt on coals, or putting out single coals with a spray gun is the way to regulate heat.<br />and thats how you make a great dutch oven product. One of my troops favorites is dutch oven chicken and dumplings, and we make cakes in it also.<br /> :) ;) :cool:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

MMMMMmmmmmm! :D <br /><br />Need any more judges, LF?