Deep cycle or staeting battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pdevito

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I only have room for 1 battery. I usually park on the lake and listen to music. Should i use a deep cycle or only the starting battery i currently have

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'd use dual purpose marine battery. As large as will fit assuming at leadt as many MCA as your engine requires. I run 2 dual purpise on my boat. I use 1 on one trip and 2 on the next. It's giid to have the other battery if my stereo drains one down. In 15 years of boating I've never killed one with the stereo.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
If you only have one battery and you ' just listen to music ' you run the risk of running the battery down to the point that it won't have enough ooomph to start your motor.
That has happened to a LOT of people over the years.

Either make make room for two dedicated batteries...one for starting and one for the other stuff.
Or buy a cheap music thingee that has it's own power supply.
Just like people did with the same issue in the 70's.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
I only have room for 1 battery. I usually park on the lake and listen to music. Should i use a deep cycle or only the starting battery i currently have
Wait a minute! I’m willing to bet there is enough room somewhere for a second battery. Might need to run some cables to a remote location, but it can be done.
Reason I say this is because even on my 14’ Jonboat, I have 2 batteries, one being a group 31 big boy!
But I agree with Tessie 1, listen with a rechargeable stereo.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use a lawn tractor battery for my stereo and fishfinder. I put it under the helm.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If you can squeeze in a small battery, look for a deep cycle " wheel chair" battery. I bought a " mighty" wheel chair vattery about 10 years ago, use it fo my pond boat " electric motor" and for my lawn sprayer and a number of other odd 12v needs where a big heavy battery is out. This thing has been awesome, can run my trolling motor for hours, my big boom sprayer for a couple hours and still have power left. About the size of a ATV battery and fully sealed. 12v at 20 ahm. Shipped to my door for 40 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.