Deep cycle or cranking ???

Estoman

Cadet
I want to replace my battery, the old owner said he had just replaced it last year. I charged it up and had problems with it after a few days, it had a hard time cranking over the engine. 1990 90hp evinrude. Should I get a deep cycle, or a marine cranking battery?

Thanks Estoman.

D

DJ

Re: Deep cycle or cranking ???

There are many schools of thought on this one. There are dual purpose batteries. I'm not a fan.

In my opinion. Buy the highest amp hr. batt. you can find for your "cranking" batt. and buy a deep cycle for other systems, if needed.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use a 1150 CCA marine starting battery, the deep cycle is for electronics, and trolling motors. you have to maintain the battery between uses, they don't like sitting for long periods.

also, do this before investing in a new battery, my 88 was always hard to get going after a period of setting, found a bad cable.

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

tasha makes a great point...and battery cables are not that expensive...ecspecially when you think about what they do. Cheap insurance really...If you look at most OE battery cables on outboards they aren't very large...gauge I mean. I like to replace mine anytime I get something new (used). Batteries charge and start better and your charging circuits will be much happier with the drop in resistance. Bend your cables around and if you find any hard spots they should be replaced asap just as tasha stated. If you do replace go to large gauge wires...you'll be glad you did.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Before you buy a new battery, make sure the charging system is working. If the boat has a voltmeter, start the engine and run it at 1500 - 2000 rpm. If the voltmeter reads 12.6 or less, she's not charging. Then check cables and have battery load tested at any auto store. If it is indeed bad, I'm with the others -- buy the largest marine starting battery you have room for. Do the same for a deep cycle for the troller and other stuff when the need arises. If you have 120 volts AC available at the dock or wherever the boat is stored, Shumacher makes a great battery maintainer for the start battery. They cost about $25 at my local farm store and they can left on indefinitely (as mine is right now and will remain on until spring). It's snowing here so my thoughts are of ice fishing in a few weeks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Before you buy a new battery, make sure the charging system is working. If the boat has a voltmeter, start the engine and run it at 1500 - 2000 rpm. If the voltmeter reads 12.6 or less, she's not charging. Then check cables and have battery load tested at any auto store. If it is indeed bad, I'm with the others -- buy the largest marine starting battery you have room for. Do the same for a deep cycle for the troller and other stuff when the need arises. If you have 120 volts AC available at the dock or wherever the boat is stored, Shumacher makes a great battery maintainer for the start battery. They cost about $25 at my local farm store and they can left on indefinitely (as mine is right now and will remain on until spring). It's snowing here so my thoughts are of ice fishing in a few weeks.

Isn't it hard chopping a hole for the boat?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Naahhh -- makes it tough trolling though. Laugh as you might about fishing in hard water, one of our locals pulled a 50-inch musky through the ice last winter. What a hog! I have a Clam 5600 portable shelter with heat and lights so its quite comfy. The only problem with ice fishing is the fish need to come to you rather than the other way around. But knowing where they live in the winter helps. If all else fails we break out the "Dupont Lure". For those that haven't heard about this lure it's more commonly called a hand grenade.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have made friends with a couple divers from my area. My ice fishing has improved dramatically since then. They are my "eyes" beneath the water, and have found some coves and shoals that the fish finder seems to miss sometimes.