deep cell trolling batteries

I recently purchased a new Stowaway marine battery. The dual purpose trolling/RV model. However, it dosen't seem to take a full charge. The charger works fine for my starter battery, so I don't think I have a problem there.

Is there some difference in the way your supposed to charge/recharge deep cell batteries as opposed to regular 12 volt models ? I checked the fluid level, tried an overnight 2 amp "trickle" charge. No luck. So I put it on a 10 amp quick charge, still no luck.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant
Re: deep cell trolling batteries

Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good, get a hydrometer and check the specific gravity of each battery call. Follow the instructions on the hmeter and you will know if the battery is junk or not.
btw the hydrometers are not expensive and can be used on any wet cell. Good luck!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Deep cycle batteries take a long time to discharge and a long time to recharge. 2 amps won't charge it overnight. Put the 10 amp on overnight. If that doesn't bring a new battery up to snuff, it's bad. It's not unusual for a TM battery to need two days of charging after a long day of use.

Gonna go out and get a new hydrometer today. My old one got washed away with the storm. While I'm at it I may look into one of those voltmeters that can measure amps too. Maybe this thing IS charged and just isn't reading so. In the meantime I've got it on 10 amp charge again. I just don't want to burn it up.

eatropefish

Cadet

Try checking the battery with a DVOM ( if one is handy) and see if you have 12 volts. If you see 10 volts the battery has a bad cell.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Battery should be over 13 volts right after a charge.
It will take several charge/discharge cycles for it to reach full capacity.