deck extension

jrc27

Seaman
anyone ever add or build an extension to their front deck? it is a stratos 285 pro bass boat looking to extend the front deck back to the console.. any tips or advice is appreciated

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: deck extension

jrc,<br />If I understand your question correctly, you're looking to add "flat-space" to the bow area in front of your cockpit? Perhaps even fill the whole thing in, so that it is all at the same level??<br /><br />If I got this part right, this is NOT a difficult job. The materials to do this with are readily available at most any hardware store, and if you have even a modicom of carpentry skills, and have a buddy to help you, you should be able to complete most (or all) of it in a weekend.<br /><br />I did an almost identical thing for my 24 ft Mako CC, in which I added a false floor approx one foot above the original, making it a GREAT fishing/casting/sleeping platform, and giving me quite a bit of additional storage for vests, camping gear, etc...<br /><br />If I'm on the right track, let me know and I'll be happy to help you with materials selections, and lead you through some of the lessons I learned.<br /><br />Good Luck, Obiwan

jrc27

Seaman

you are correct ob1. there is a small area between the rod locker and the console that i want to raise to the level of the front deck..

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jrc,<br />Am not sure on your hull, if there are any lips or ridges to which you could make a template, then simply cut a piece of 5/8 or 3/4" thick plywood, to fitthe opening. If not, you can add these, by using some 1/2" x 1 1/2" strips, or similare material, that would forma lip for the board to rest on.<br /><br />Once you get the board approximately shaped, make it just enough smaller to allow you to wrap the whole thing with some indoor/outdoor carpeting, and "voila", you have a platform that you can remove, if needed...<br /><br />Will be away for a bit, as I'm off in the morning for a 12 day cruise/fishing trip to Lake Powell... But if you want to reply, I'll be checking in, when I get back and see if I can't get you some pic's of what I did to my Mako, which had NO means of supporting any raised flooring, until I added the strips I referred to...<br /><br />Good Luck, Obiwan

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Did the same thing on a Ranger bass boat (it was a pain in the shins to fall while fighting a good fish) I used plywood that I cut to fit, treated with Thompsons water seal, and then 4 coats of good marine varnish mixed with some sand on the top. Worked great with plenty of non-slip traction. I secured it with screws and strips of stainless steel.<br /><br />Bob