Decent reels??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbit929

Seaman
So I have 3 $80 “decent” reels I use the most. I bought a couple $20 rod/reels just for minor fishing, mostly bluegill and crappy lakes. Prolly will use for ice fishing too.
4lb test line, but all 3 of these new cheapie reels fail to operate almost immediately.
What’s a good reel for the cheaper and simpler side of things?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So I have 3 $80 “decent” reels I use the most. I bought a couple $20 rod/reels just for minor fishing, mostly bluegill and crappy lakes. Prolly will use for ice fishing too.
4lb test line, but all 3 of these new cheapie reels fail to operate almost immediately.
What’s a good reel for the cheaper and simpler side of things?
The Okuma Avenger series is the best “cheap” reel on the market

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I assume you mean “Desent “ reels not ”decent”. Descent reels are not decent, in fact they are cheap garbage. You get what you pay for. Remember in general cheap is not good and good is not cheap. Rather than name a specific reel just go and look at well known brand reels like Penn, Shimano, Okuma, Mitchell etc etc. They make reels in a wide range of prices. I’m sure you can find something on the lower end price wise that is still good quality.
Two things I never ever go cheap on is outdoor equipment (including reels) and tools. Failure of either of these is just simply not an option for me.

Last edited:

Rabbit929

Seaman
I assume you mean “Desent “ reels not ”decent”. Descent reels are not decent, in fact they are cheap garbage. You get what you pay for. Remember in general cheap is not good and good is not cheap. Rather than name a specific reel just go and look at well known brand reels like Penn, Shimano, Okuma, Mitchell etc etc. They make reels in a wide range of prices. I’m sure you can find something on the lower end price wise that is still good quality.
Two things I never ever go cheap on is outdoor equipment (including reels) and tools. Failure of either of these is just simply not an option for me.
Yeah I meant "better than garbage" reels.
The main ones i use i dont mind spending a little extra on good quality reels, but im talking just something that will hold up on my little 3 foot rods i use on the kayak on no-wake lakes, usually going for bluegill and smaller stuff.

No need for a $100+ setup, but i know the most expensive short-pole setups walmart had were $20, and i spent more time trying to fix them, and eventually just laid them on the floor and held the string by hand. When i was a kid we had alot of those cheap little thumb-button reels than were no trouble, these chinesium things are a bit ridiculous.
For this type of fishing id like just those thumb-button rod/reel combos in 2-3 foot lengths because i can operate them fully one handed. Since they all are junk, ive been having good luck just using string and no rod or reel. Still a bit of a pita with a mess of about 10ft of string on my lap, but its better than the other junk.
I dont skimp on my main reels, but investing more than $100 for this type of fishing just seems like a waste.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Maybe get a used rig from Goodwill, etc.? I've seen rods & reels for just a couple bucks there. Might get a good reel attached to a bad rod for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.