Decarboning

chuckybaby

Seaman Apprentice
I have a '94 OMC 200 Venom. Every fall I use OMC fogging oil, injected thru the schraeder valve on the port side if the engine. In the spring I use the OMC "Tune Up Spray", again injected thru the schraeder valve. Does this tune up spray decarbon the engine ? If not, what should I be doing ?

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Decarboning

Yes, OMC Engine Tuner is their decarb spray. Those valves are handy for this little chore, aren't they?

ob

Admiral

chuckybaby,It's always a good idea to inspect and clean sparkplugs after a water run following decarbonizing as it can break loose carbon that was lodged in ring grooves and piston head and tranfer deposits on the electrodes and ground straps of plugs.If you change plugs annually, following a decarb is a good time to do it.Enjoy.

BillP

Captain

OMC Tuner works 100% better when the engine is hot (basically it DOESN'T work cold) so make sure warming the engine is part of your procedure. Just follow the instructions. If you do this every 100 hrs there will never be a build up of crud to worry about...100 hrs is ultra conservative.