Decarb Question from Mechanically Challenged

stompie

Cadet
Hi All

Did compression check this weekend on my two 60hp Mercury. All are around 95 which is on the low side but variations between cylinders are less than 10%. I know it could be the guage I used. Anyway I looked into the cylinders and noticed quite a build up of carbon on the pistons.

I have read many threads on decarb and have one question. When spraying into the carbs while running, exactly where do you spray. I am not very mechanically inclined....on outboards anyway and don't know where to spray.

Can someone please explain where to spray and what needs to be stripped before hand. (A diagram would be very useful - wishful thinking.

PS: Three cylinder models

Thanks Guys:confused:

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Decarb Question from Mechanically Challenged

first you need to take the airfilter off, then spray into the big open holes you see on the carbs .........

stompie

Cadet

Here in South Africa we don't have the range of products that you guys have but it is obviously critical to use a spray that contains some lubricating properties. Would a spray that can be used on lawn mowers work? After all lawn mowers also have premix 2 stroke systems.:redface:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can use almost any quality penetrating spray but the best you can use is the Mercury Engine Tuner available at the Mercury Dealer. There are allot of methods that work, some people use plain water but, nothing beats the spray designed for the job.

I had an older (1967) outboard I did last year and actually flooded the cylinders and let it soak over 24 hours. I then re-positioned the pistons and did it again. I drained it out and pulled it over without the plugs about 10 times. I re-installed the plugs .... re-started ...... waited for the smoke to clear ..... (side note.... I used a barrel and you would have been amazed at the carbon that was discharged) and checked my compression again.

stompie

Cadet

Thanks will give it a go this weekend:D

stompie

Cadet

Thanks will give it a go this weekend:D

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just to clarify -- there is no air filter on an outboard. There is an air box however. Second, do not spray through the air intake if your engines are EFI. If the engines are carbureted, remove the air box and the carb throats will be looking at you. Start the engine to warm it up. Then raise the fast idle lever so the engine is running at 1200 rpm or so and spray the decarb agent into the throat of each carb. Removing the spark plugs, spraying each cylinder through the plug hole and then letting the engine sit helps too. Alert your neighbors that if they see a great deal of smoke not to call the fire department -- your house is not on fire although it may appear that way.

stompie

Cadet

Beware neighbours I am in possession of 4 cans of carb spray, and now I'm not afraid to use them.

Thanks Guys

Bear in mind that if the fish are jumping and aren't biting, you forgot to bait on!:p

lookingforluck

Seaman Apprentice

Did the decarbing help with the compression?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Here in South Africa we don't have the range of products that you guys have but it is obviously critical to use a spray that contains some lubricating properties. Would a spray that can be used on lawn mowers work? After all lawn mowers also have premix 2 stroke systems.:redface:

we do get seafoam here stompie, there is a couple of marine shops here in Cape Town that have it ......

stompie

Cadet

Will continue my search.

Thanks