decarb now problems with 112 spl engine bogs on take off

What a great forum, I have learned so much but I guess not enough yet. I have an 1996 evinrude 112. Problems started last week. Motor was running fine when it decided to begin to cut out at 2500-3000 rpm. Weird sequence of events. When it first happened I noticed the voltage was up to 15.5 volts on the fish finder which may be irrelevant because now with a different battery it is around 12.6.
My first step when I got home was to check the compression which is great 130 on 3 cylinders and 135 on one cylinder. When I was pulling the plugs I noticed water on the plug for cylinder #4 which was the one with 135 for compression, so I replaced the head gasket which was obviously worn and was a problem. Took the boat out 2 times and it ran pretty good rpm's went up to 5200 rpms but once it got there it cut back to 5100 rpms.
Now I figure I may as well decarb the engine with seafoam. After doing so I had a ton of water in #4 so I figured I made a mistake with the head gasket and I took it back apart but the gasket looked fine but I replaced it anyhow. Still had water in #4 so I took the exhaust apart and found that the gasket was practically gone and this is now where the water is coming from, carbon was sealing it. Replaced the gasket and thankfully no water in any cylinder. It runs and idles fine on the hose out of the water. Put it on the water and same story as before, in gear hits 2500 rpm and cuts out. Seems like one cylinder is cutting out.
I have put it in gear with engine off and plugs removed and I can turn the prop and the flywheel turns so I don't believe it is the lower end.
Fuel pump and rectifier are new this year and ran fine after I changed them.
Is there a way that there is water around the crank that needs to be drained? If so I would figure some would show up on the plugs but not sure. Driving me nuts seems like one different problem after another.
I will greatly appreciate any help,
Shane

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: decarb now problems with 112 spl engine bogs on take off

recheck compression, check spark on all 4. start motor on muffs. pull one spark plug wire at a time, and listen for the change in rpms. when you pull the plug wire, the rpms should drop, when you replace it rpms, should pick back up. if you get no change, that cylinder is not running. if compression was good, it is 99% carbs contaminated.

Thanks for your reply. One thing I forgot to mention was after decarb I did notice some green stuff? in the part where the air enters the carbs. The compression is right around 130 on each cylinder now. I will do the other tests this afternoon and let you know how I make out.
Shane

Thank you for your help! I don't know how but there was a piece of rubber gasket material where the float valve is.
I couldn't have done it without your help.
Shane