*!&@^#%$ Decal Removal

EBlake

Cadet
Stripping decals to prep for new paint. I used a heat gun to strip the actual decals & that worked slick as a whistle. However the adhesive left behind is driving me nuts! I've tried:
Acetone
paint thinner
laquer thinner
Xylene
Goof-Off & Goo-Gone
to remove the adhesive, but nothing has worked. Some of the chemicals soften the adhesive, but as soon as the liquid evaporates, it's still stuck to the surface. I'm stripping the paint with a random orbital sander which is working great & I've even tried sanding the left over adhesive, which sort of works, but it clogs up sanding discs instantly & I'm worried about sanding through the gel coat because of the time it takes to sand off the adhesive. Anybody have a fool proof way to get rid of the glue, so I can get on with sanding? I've thought about more aggressive sanding discs, but again am worried about sanding through the gel coat. Right now I'm using 150 & 220 grit.
Thanks.
B

Superjetjim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: *!&@^#%$ Decal Removal

Hi buddy, I've stripped many sticker sets off skis for painting (mostly Superjets) - best way is as follows:

1) Heat gun as you have to remove top layer
2) Paint thinner mixed with a small amount of 20:1 premix fuel/oil painted on with paint brush or sprayed on with a hand bottle - wait 20 seconds, apply again. The oil removes some of the re-stick you mention.
3) Then (here's the trick) using a sharpen wooden spatula (kitchen item) scrape the sticker along to the end of the sticky bit - you should end up with a ball of gunge at the end of each stroke - keep going till most of the glue is now in this ball of gunge
4) lift off the ball and chuck in trash
5) wipe remaining resin off with rag
6) job done

Is a PITA of a job but the above is the fasted method by far - tried them all!

Jim