decal removal ..I know, dumb question!

rv8tor

Cadet
This may seem like a really dumb question, but how do you all remove the glue from a registration decal before replacing it with another decal?

I've tried hot water, glass cleaner, rubbing compound, and right now, I have dish soap sitting on the area overnight hopefully to break down the glue. The wife says just put the new decal over the area where the old one was, and while that would work, I'm a bit a.r. about the whole thing!:D

Ideas????

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: decal removal ..I know, dumb question!

Tell your wife you need her nail polish remover with acetone.:D The acetone will remove it with out hurting you or the boat;):)

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

^^^^ +1 for that. In the absense of acetone peanut butter and windex work well. Scrucb peanut butter with a rag to remove adhesive and wash with windex to remove the oil. Wife showed me that...she uses it to remove price tags from stuff she buys so I don't know how much it costs :D

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Alcohol works pretty good too, just keep using a clean part of the rag.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... So does WD-40....

Fun Times

Staff member

Depends on whether the boat has gel coat or paint.
Good point, I just assume'd it was gel coat but you know what "Assume" means;):eek::D seariosly thank you good point I normaly try to ask ???s but I was having fun when I thought of it, And I would hate to give some one bad info and they use it. I would feel varry bad.:eek::redface:;): Thank's again. But I'm glad to see he has a 1999 Stingray 190LS Bowrider
4.3L Mercruiser w/ Alpha 1
1999 Ezloader Galv. trailer

And that should be gel coat.

rv8tor

Cadet

Thanks guys for the replies. I'll try some of those ideas. This is on the gelcoat, not the paint.

waveland

Cadet

I use GOO GONE and a razor blade (use the blade very carefully)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

:)goo gone is definetly the stuff:)
rob

Y-Guy

Seaman

Goo-Gone, that's the ticket. A small bottle will last for some time, don't live at home without it.