Deals on boats that sunk at dock?

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Folks,

I've noticed a few ads on boats that had been sunk at the dock. These were all i/o's...a couple of them actually looked really nice in the pictures.

Could it be a good idea to buy a boat like that, or are they usually just more trouble than they're worth?

I'd think that they'd have to be gutted and completely rebuilt....floor, transom, seats wiring, etc.

Can anyone describe a good boat that had been sunk? Just wondering....

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Deals on boats that sunk at dock?

More trouble. There are too many better boats out there; especially now with the poor economy.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

You can get some smoking deals on 'wet' boats - just make certain that it went down in fresh water, not salt.
Actually there really isn't a lot to worry about with the decks or other structural parts. It also depends a lot on how long it was down and what was done to her after it was put back on dry land.
Salt water + wiring = instant corrosion issues. Not quite so bad with fresh water but still not wanted.
Motors ( gas ) and outdrives are a completely different can of worms. But as mentioned, you could ( or would ) probably be better off finding one that wasn't sunk.

mphy98

Lieutenant

freshwater or saltwater a complete rewire, complete engine and back unit tear down and re-oil and lube, seats probably toast, woodwork toast, lots of work and expense. Cheaper boats out there unless you want a project boat. Just like a wet car though, electrical gremlins creep up everywhere. so rewire, gages, controls etc. not something I want to do.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I agree with what everyone said. To add one more caviat -- if you must have any part of the restoration done by someone else, that eats into the profits very quickly. If you don't know how to do electrical work that will not cost much in parts but labor will be very high. In my view the boat would need to be darned near free to make it a deal for the simple reason that if you can't hear it run, you have no idea what you are in for.

Provo5

Seaman

I am currently watching for a wet boat. A tree branch took out the front port glass of my windsheild. Taylor made has been no help. I have an older Mariah so going to the manufacture is not an option. If I can pick up a wet boat with the correct glass for less than a grand it would be a deal. Complete new windsheild is 2K.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I'll humbly submit it is possible to resurrect with a wet boat without breaking the bank.

We lost our SeaRay I/O at the dock in a bad storm when we weren't around and it probably sat for three days on the bottom before it was pulled out. (Actually, our neighbour thought it had been stolen because he knew we weren't home, popped over for a closer look and saw her below the surface...)

It took some time, muscle and two x fours to roll her over and a couple of fire pumps to get her floating. It was a mess. She dropped a side going down due to being tied to the dock and was hanging by her lines. The oil had run out of engine and saturated the upholstry, carpet, instruments and everything else that didn't either float away or sink. I can't imagine the local wildlife was terribly impressed either. Every time the phone rang that week I was expecting it to be the Ministry of Environment looking to collect a fine.

Once on a trailer and in the shop they got on it right away, doing three oil changes, draining and flushing the fuel tank and replacing the starter. That got it running and saved the motor til a proper estimate could be worked out for the insurance co. In the end the estimate offered by the marina to repair ran to $7K so the insurance co wrote it off (boat was ten years old at the time). The grocery list was a mile long and included about everything you could think of. All wiring, all instruments, all engine accessories, all controls, hydraulics, all upholstry, carpet, everything.

We took the cash but interestingly, the insurance co also gave us the boat back, which I didn't expect. I didn't want it but the marina was going to charge me $300 to crush it if I didn't get it off their property. I briefly considered parting out the motor and outdrive but decided the hassle factor wasn't worth it. I was telling the story to a buddy at work the next day who got real interested, offered to give me a thousand to cover salvage, storage, and marina work to date and he carted her off.

In the end just about the entire list of "needed repairs" was bs. All he did was was dissasemble, dry and clean all the instruments, replace the bilge blower, disassemble the seats to dry the foam and put them back together, shampoo the carpet gave her a tune up. After that she was good to go. Cost him I think less than $200 in materials and maybe 50 hours of his time and he got a fine boat out of it which he and his kids are still enjoying every weekend two years later. For my part I love the idea she's back on the surface with a new lease on life giving another family lots of good times.

Anyway, long-winded post but an example of how a sunk boat is not necessarily a lost cause and -- depending on the complexity of the craft and your skills -- potentially a real bargain.

---

Some pics just after the salvage operation...Wish I had some after shots looking purdy again.

DSC06526.jpg

DSC06528.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

obviously freshwater, yes it is possible.

mthieme

Captain

Around here (brackish water), a boat that has sunk at the pier is just about valueless. The only thing salvageable (typically) is the hull and fittings. You don't have to go far to find something like this dry much less wet.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

a boat like that for only 1200. i doubt you could find that deal anywhere.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

August 21, 2007 our town experienced what happens when 8" of rain falls in 4 hours. That day, my work shop the company owns ended up with 4' of water. It took out my welder, plasma cutter, air compressors, 15KW generator, pressure washer/steamer, Scat commercial 0-turn mower and about $75,000 worth of commercial kitchen equipment.

My boss had a crew come in and clean the mud off everything. Then another worker and myself dismantled the equipment and tools. Cleaned, washed, rinsed, and baked all the electrical components/motors in a convection oven. We replaced bearings, but that was about all we had to replace. About 95% of all the equipment that was ruined was given a second chance.

I would say as for a boat goes, it would matter if it was salt or fresh. If salt, no way I would go for it. Fresh water only if the boat was submerged for maybe up to 2 days. Even with that, you would need a team of people to jump on the work right away. Each day that goes by without any cleaning/drying makes the chances slim.

It is also up to the knowledge and experience of the individual involved on their abilities on how much they can do.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

obviously freshwater, yes it is possible.

Yeah -- sorry -- should have clarified it was fresh water...salt would certainly have been be another story. :(

I'm also happy to be the poster child for why you need two bilge pumps...