Deadman Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
First year boater here. I have old motors with no deadman switches. Is that the correct term? I see newer tiller motors have like a coiled line that I think you clip to your clothes that shuts the motor off if you take an unplanned dip into the lake. Getting to know my two new boats and motors I came fairly close to going overboard 2 or 3x when I was by myself. When I'm not by myself I'm with my 7 year old grandson. I'm not so sure he'd be of much help getting Gramps back into the boat. Or stopping it. Should I have some sort of ladder?

I imagine opinions will vary here, but do most of you with small boats use a shutoff switch? Should I install one? Think I've seen kits for sale. For the record we wear life jackets, but that won't keep the boat from motoring off leaving me to play human bobber.

On the subject of safety, should the motor have a chain or cable on it so if it comes off it doesn't sink to the bottom of the lake? I've also heard people talking about a safety chain on the bow in case the winch line breaks. No clue what these chains look like or how they work. Tips, pics, or links greatly appreciated. Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Deadman would be Man Overboard and Kill switch are used most often. The older motors did not have one and was not required. Having one is a very good thing. Simple enough to install but would need to know what motor

Having a safety chain on the motor is another good thing, but if its installed correct and tight it should be ok

I've also heard people talking about a safety chain on the bow in case the winch line breaks.
I think what your reading about maybe about larger boats and the short safety chain is attached to the anchor. This way if the windless starts slipping it would hold the anchor and not let it drop while under way

airshot

Rear Admiral
In the old days ( when I was a young lad) most outboards were the clamp on type. For various reasons these higher powered motors would become unclamped and fall in the drink....this is where safety chains became popular. As more OB motors became bolt onto the transom type mounts, safety chains began to dissapear. When using small OB that still use the clamp on mounts, I still use a safety chain !!!! You would be surprised how many times you think you have the clamps tight, but only to find them loose after your boat ride !!! It happens, so use the safety chains......as far as the dead man switch, yes they are a good thing to have, most states dont require them unless your OB was mfgr with a safety lanyard. Many states now require you to use the safety lanyard if your motor has one !! When ever I have a passenger onboard, I always explain how the motor gets turned off in case something happens right down to my kids and grandkids starting when they were about 7-8 yrs old. When I am alone, which is often, I try to use the lanyard, but admit I often forget it !!! I been been a boat owner sinse I was 12 years old ( more than 60 years), I would like to think I am a safe boat operator but one never knows !!!! If you have a deadman USE it....if you dont and boat by yourself, GET one installed....cant be to safe on the water....

flashback

Captain
I have never used the telephone cord tied to my wrist, if I were in a race boat I would. The safety on the anchor is in my opinion a necessity.

dwco5051

Commander
I think the chain on the bow you referred to is the safety chain (or strap depending on the size of the boat} when the boat is on the trailer. This is to hold the boat down tight to the trailer. The winch line is pulling horizontal which would not help much in case of an accident.

The kill switch is an absolute necessity for a small boat as far as I am concerned.
Here is a photo of a bow tie down.
tiedown.JPG

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Lots of food for thought. Thank you all.

My main motor is a 65 Fastwin 18, my spare is a 66 Sears/McCulloch 14. I suppose it would be smart to hook a kill switch up to both. Next year I plan to let the kid run the boat a little bit and learn how to shut if off if Papa goes overboard. Do I need a specific part for each motor? I imagine these switches ground out the coils?

So far my motors have remained firmly clamped, so maybe I don't need the safety chain, but seems like that should be pretty easy to fab up. I've yet to see one though so no idea where to start. A length of chain bouncing around the back of the boat though sounds a bit problematic.

I'll try to devise a front hold down, but the boat and motor only weigh 400 lbs. I have a brand new winch rope and generally only trailer it a few blocks to the ramp. Overkill maybe?

You guys completely lost me with the chain on the anchor comments. I've noticed many boats have some chain on the anchor end, but still don't get what it does exactly. How is this better than a strong length of rope? I have a small anchor which holds the boat just fine and isn't very hard to haul in. Ours is a shallow lake though.

alldodge

Staff member
Being a small tiller motor, pull start it can be done but would probably drill a hole to mount the switch. Assume a push to stop switch, so connect the kill switch in parallel with with that switch. The kill switches are made so the pull code will cause the switch to make contact or break contact, you would use make contact

You guys completely lost me with the chain on the anchor comments. I've noticed many boats have some chain on the anchor end, but still don't get what it does exactly. How is this better than a strong length of rope? I have a small anchor which holds the boat just fine and isn't very hard to haul in. Ours is a shallow lake though.
Again, this is for larger boats with anchor windless that may not be seen if it were to start falling while underway. Some use cable lanyards, others chain, and others have built in latches. The vid shows a lanyard at about 1 minute mark

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Funny you mention windlass. I just googled that the day before when I saw the term in a boat ad. Never heard of them. We had cabin cruisers when I was a kid, but can't say if we had one of those or not. Maybe on the big ChrisCraft, but we didn't have that one for very long. Looks like these are only used on bigger boats, so chain is not needed otherwise, is that correct? Don't think I'm going to need anything elaborate for a fishing boat in 10' of water. I do intend to look into installing the other safety devices. BTW the 'rude had a push button stop switch, but the Mickey Motor I've been choking to make it stop. Seems kind of odd it doesn't have some sort of shutoff.

alldodge

Staff member
More of the higher end manufactures have been installing a windless, even on big bow riders. My 27ft has one

The small OB ground the magneto to kill the motor, remove ground to start.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Safety chain on small OB motors are usually coated with vynal so there is no clanking around. The last few I have had or made, I use vynal covered cable so no noise and much lighter.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Cool, thanks Airshot. That gives me some ideas. What about attaching points? Approx length?

For the kill switch magneto ground, guess I'll need a kit or something? I can prob figure out how to ground the coil, but don't think have anything to use for the coil part.

airshot

Rear Admiral
As long as needed to connect one of the handles in the motor clamp to a handle, thru the transom support or wherever you can attach the other end of your safety cable. I usually add a snap of some sort to each end of my safety cable/ chain. As far as the safety stop for the motor, I have saw kits thst you can buy to add the safety lanyard, must have some instructions in the kits....If you posted in your motor brand forum, someinevthere might ve able to help with which wires for your particular motor...

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks, that's quite helpful. With a couple carabiners, I can move it from boat to boat as needed. Wish could think of a similar idea for a kill switch. Guess each motor will need to have it's own.

Bogusgig

Recruit
I've noticed many boats have some chain on the anchor end, but still don't get what it does exactly. How is this better than a strong length of rope?
I am new to boating and this forum. Concerning the short chain that ties between the line rope and the anchor the chain helps to add weight to the top of the anchor and helps the anchor to settle down on the bottom of where the anchor lands.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Most folks use an anchor line that is to short, this creates less of an angle on the rope. This lesser angle can pull the anchor up and not allowvthe flukes to bite in. If we all actually used the recomended 7x depth for an anchor line the chain would not be as important...The addition of a chain adds weight to the line and allows the anchor to get a better bite when we use shorter then we should anchor lines. The chain also helps to eliminate chaffing of the anchor line rubbing rocks etc when laying on the bottom. Many folks just add a couple feet of chain, not enough !!! You really need 4-5 feet or longer depending on your needs.

capecodtodd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you are just putting around a lake fishing you probably don't need the chain on the anchor but in a current, tide or in windy conditions it will help you avoid dragging the anchor. I have 2 setups for my boat, one for the lake and a bigger anchor with longer line with chain for the ocean. A kill switch in a boat like yours is a really good idea because it is easier to fall out. I added a chain to my 1998 trailer setup. I winch the boat in and simply clip the chain to the bow ring. It is extra insurance. I also use straps to hold the transom down. You could do the same or go right over the beam to secure the boat to the trailer.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If you use a Safety Chain/Cable on an Outboard, it has to short enough that the Motor can not get more than 1/4" higher than when it is clamped to the Transom. The last thing you want is an Outboard, at WOT jumping around back there, tied to the Boat. You also have to rig it so the Motor can't roll much, for the same reason. I would rather have the motor go bye bye, than have it sitting next to or on me, with the prop spinning

Chains on Anchors actually anchor the boat more than the Anchor itself. With a long enough Line, and several feet of Chain, a quite small Anchor will hold in some very strong wind and waves.

A Safety Chain on the Bow Eye to the Winch Stand should also be a short as possible, and have the provision to remove any slack, so there is movement if the Winch Strap breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.