De-Winterizing

fullsize_chevy

Seaman Apprentice
I know it's cold still here in RI, but I'm starting the boat this weekend...the weather should be in the mid 40's. I've never lived in the north before and wonder what's involved in getting her running. The boat/motor are brand new...bought in Dec. 04 and put away after a one hour test run. So, I cut off the shrink wrap, and then what...<br /><br />Do spark plugs need replacing?...Any recommendation?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: De-Winterizing

Assuming it was winterized and it is an i/o,there is not much to do to get it fired up.Open or remove shrink wrap ,Make sure you have a source of water at the intake,check bilge for fumes and run blower before cranking her.Between you and me,I would wait a few more weeks but then again I do everything on the conservative side.Charlie

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I totally agree with Charlie on this one, fullsize. For us living here in the Northeast it can be a long agonizing winter..but better to be safe than sorry. It may be in the 40's a day or two, but I bet it'll drop back down into the 20's -- enough to freeze water again. I usually dont get out until the end of April..just to be on the safe side. Never know what the weather will bring here in New England. And I do most of my boating in New Hampshire..there's still snowmobiling going on up there!! :)

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't go to all the trouble just to start it unless your going to put it in the water. If your going for a ride then I say go for it. We went out last weekend for the day but it was 75 here in SC.<br /><br />If it's an inboard you'll need to drain the motor block when your done because it will probably freeze again up there. It doesn't take long to pull the drain plugs, just make sure you drain the power steering cooler if you have one. Your owner's manual should show you all the locations for the drain plugs.<br /><br />If it's an outboard there's no problem.

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

And before you take off down the lake make sure you run through checking all the fluid levels and read your owner's manual.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If your going to take it out, make sure you drain the water from the block when your done!!!!!! . I,m guilty of taking mine out too early, but the boat only had a 3l engine, super easy to drain the water. Make sure you open all drains after your done, check owners manual to get location. Other than that, check fluid levels, charge battery, put your garboard plug in and enjoy.If the engine was fogged out when winterized you may want to change the plugs after your first couple of times out.<br /><br /> Jim