De-carb or Rebuild?

Jzervos

Cadet
I have what I believe is a 92 motor. It is a 120 Johnson two stroke, VRO. I disconnected the VRO because of all the trouble I heard they can cause when they are older. I ran it for close to a year with no problems. The motor never sat for more than two weeks without being ran. Recently I have been fouling my plugs, and felt a loss of power while running. I think one of the cylinders was missing, and then fired back up. I changed my fuel water separator because it was clogged and cleaned the fuel filter under the cowling. The motor still sputters when I start it, and doesn't always start on the first try. I was told I should decarb the engine, but I don't know how effective that would be. I was thinking about rebuilding the carbs and hopefully solving the problem.

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: De-carb or Rebuild?

To decarb is inexpensive and may solve the problem. Then do a compression check and post the numbers back here. Someone will let you know what the compression numbers mean and what you need to do next.<br /><br />Good luck

fireman57

Captain
Re: De-carb or Rebuild?

If you think one of your cylinders is missing then pull the plugs one at a time and check for rpm changes. At least you can eliminate spark as a problem.