dashboard reflection when I look thru the windsheild

riptide116

Seaman
ok I finaly must ask for some advice,I have my VHF & <br />fishfinder on the dashboard,they fit real nice under the windsheild but alas I caaaannn predict the future & I see a problem over the horizion<br /><br />with the sun glaring down on the electronics thru the windsheild is NOT good on electronics,the case is black,cuz they get real hot with the sun on em tends to reduce the life of them spendy gadits.<br /><br />the delemma:<br />whatever I put on the dash will reflect on the windsheild and the top deck is bright red so it is allready sorta "glare'ey",what would a good color be that dont reflect the sun & not absorb the heat from the sun,small cabnets for electronics might happen 12x15x5,under dash is out of the question,I would not like to do yoga positions to look at fishfinder

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: dashboard reflection when I look thru the windsheild

riptide, how about rigging a half shade out of a scrap of sunbrella or something and using velcro for easy on / off

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

How about a dashboard mat like they have for cars... trim it to fit... no glare.

nrladeere

Seaman

My Chris Craft dash is gray and does not reflect much at all. I think any color of sunbrella which matches your boat is a great idea also.

riptide116

Seaman

dashboard cover sounds about right,including the velcro I hope it stands up to salt water,I am thinking of using some old tupperware kool aid containers and Wa-La they are out of direct sun AND waterproof,but it might look trashy<br /><br />so hay thanks for the info on that,I still cant figure out how to get my pics up here for my project boat<br /><br />Webmaster:can I send pics to this site and can ya patch em to this post? the instructions are yiddish to me

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Tis easy riptide. Join and upload your pictures, off your hard drive, to a hosting site such as:<br /> http://www.myfishingpictures.com/index.php <br /> <br />Once uploaded, copy the url of the uploaded picture, open a new post, here at iboats, <br /><br />Push the 'image' button at the bottom of the 'reply' page and paste your url to the little box, hit the ok button and Voila, your picture will be posted. No Yiddish necessary.

riptide116

Seaman

ok this site dont look too yiddish

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Have the same problem....in fact, I believe excessive heat may have contributed to the demise of a depth finder last year. My problem is that the heat builds up in my cabin when all the canvas is up....it's just like a greenhouse.<br />I've sort of solved the problem by putting a white towel over the electronics when I'm not using the boat, even when the canvas is down. And, annoying as it is, taking the GPS down when I'm done for the day in hot weather. Otherwise, I'd have to figure out an A/C system for the electronics when I'm gone!<br />I've solved the glare problem from my dash with that non-slide plastic mat (a roll of dark blue) from the housewares section of my friendly Fred Meyer. I like the idea of a little canopy over the instruments...just don't know how talented I am to get it done!