darn hinge pin

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok so heres the story so far
mercruiser 1 sn/5599854
i have managed to remove starboard hinge pin and then went to remove port hinge pin ,no good its stuck solid so i went down the route of drilling it out,well i drilled it a couple of mm less than what it was and the bolt just snapped letting me remove the bell housing the problem i have now is the rest of the thread is still in the bell housing which i guess i can pick out and maybe kill the thread on housing??? well not so bad but i might have to go the helicoil route
my biggest problem is the top of the hinge pin (the bit without thread on it) is still stuck solid inside the yolk,i have had heat on it a chisel on it and even a centre punch on it but it still wont budge nor turn in fact it wont do anything
has anyone come across this and can they tell me how they overcome it or just suggestions of removing it would bee good.

can i drill it till theres nothing left or will that make to big a hole for the new hinge pin????

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: darn hinge pin

anyone????(just my way of getting off of page 3 lol)

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

safety goggles, dremel tool, steady hand, lots of patience??

pb blaster soak?, circuit chiller to freeze bolt head?, c-clamp with tooling to put a steady pressure on the part?

SeaWeedCT

Cadet

useless without pictures, gotta see it to determine what to do.