Daniel Schorr of NPR wrote this? He must have been choking.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Commentary > Daniel Schorr <br />from the March 04, 2005 edition <br /><br />The Iraq effect? Bush may have had it right<br /><br />By Daniel Schorr <br /><br />WASHINGTON – Something remarkable is happening in the Middle East - a grass-roots movement against autocracy without any significant "Great Satan" anti-American component. <br /> <br />In Beirut, the crowds that massed in the streets and forced the resignation of the Syrian-controlled government were demonstrating for kifaya (change) and freedom from the Syrian military that has occupied their country for more than a quarter of a century.<br /><br />The passionate protest had apparently been triggered by the assassination of the popular former prime minister, Rafik Hariri - an assassination that the Lebanese assume was engineered by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.<br /><br />In Egypt, too, the streets have been alive with the sound of kifaya. Apparently seeking to divert the movement for change, President Hosni Mubarak announced last weekend a change in the election law to permit competitive elections. But his likeliest challenger, Ayman Nour, is in jail for allegedly forging election documents. And this week there were demonstrations in the streets of Cairo in his support.<br /><br />In the past the United States would have avoided criticizing Mr. Mubarak, a key figure in the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. But now Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has openly rebuked Mubarak and canceled a scheduled visit to Cairo.<br /><br />In London this week, Secretary Rice said, "Events in Lebanon are moving in a very important direction."<br /><br />The movements for democratic change in Egypt and Lebanon have happened since the successful Iraqi election on Jan. 30. And one can speculate on whether Iraq has served as a beacon for democratic change in the Middle East.<br /><br />During the run-up to the invasion of Iraq, President Bush said that "a liberated Iraq can show the power of freedom to transform that vital region."<br /><br />He may have had it right.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Daniel Schorr of NPR wrote this? He must have been choking.

I listen to NPR all the time & respect Schorr's work, but would he be choking? I think you give him too much credit. <br /><br />Liberal journalists have a special circuit in their brain (kind of like the one teenagers have only more specialized), that allows them to truely believe that whatever opinions they hold at any point in time, are the same opinions as they have always held, and always will hold. Sort of a built-in Heimlich mechanism to prevent choking. :)

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Pardon my cynical views,but democracy is just another tool in the struggle for power.<br />In Lebanon the Syrians are the protectors of the Maronite christians (The guys that run a lot of european car theft schemes and drug transporters).The sunnis,shi-ites and Druze population would love the Syrians to get out so the field is open for them to get even with the christians.If democracy is what it takes,they will use it.<br />In Egypt, the fundamentalist moslems are dying to get a democratic election ,which they will probably win. Once they are in power they will try to change the country to islamic religious rule.<br />The tool does not matter,it matters who will get the power.<br />What would Bush say of a democratic fundamentalist islamic Egypt?<br />In short,democracy in the middle east is like riding a tiger. You don't know where it will take you and you are afraid to get off.

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I hear something a long these lines today on the radio. The announcer was saying that bush was not pushing a democratic government on Iraq. He just removed the dictator. Then he went on to say that they held their election the way we wanted it.<br /><br />Now I know what a democracy is.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Hey rolmops, i was thinking along the same lines, with the syrians out we run a very big risk of feeding the christians to the lions.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Elmer Fudge:<br /> Hey rolmops, i was thinking along the same lines, with the syrians out we run a very big risk of feeding the christians to the lions.
Very well said, agreed here too.