damn! indian larry died! and NOBODY told me!?!?

phatmanmike

Captain
what a guy. ive seen his stuff many times, even before he did that lil hook up with jesse james, or should i say jesse james hooked up with indian larry. i believe this pic says it all....
larry_and_larry.jpg
<br /><br />im really suprised i havent seen it here yet, or maybe i was sleeping. either way, he will be missed by many<br /><br />mike

gspig

Chief Petty Officer
Re: damn! indian larry died! and NOBODY told me!?!?

Only heard a brief blurb on Paul Harvey. Never saw a news story.

oddjob

Commander

I never heard of him....how did he die...where was his middle finger at the time he deceased? :eek: ........and why was he giving me the finger? :rolleyes:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

MEMORIAL BLOCK PARTY/BENEFIT<br />NORTH 14th ST BETWEEN KENT and WYTHE<br />BROOKLYN, NEW YORK<br />SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 19th 11:00 AM - 8:00 PM<br /><br />HOTELS:<br />SOHOTEL<br />341 BROOME ST<br />800-737-702<br />$89 + TAX/NIGHT<br /><br />ST. MARKS HOTEL<br />2 ST. MARKS<br />212-674-0100<br />$100-$130 + TAX/NIGHT<br /><br />Grease Monkey, The Life And Times of Motorcycle Artist Indian Larry<br />An autobiography on Larry's life is scheduled to be published by Crown Books (A Division of Random House) early in 2006 tentatively title "Grease Monkey, The Life And Times of Motorcycle Artist Indian Larry."<br /><br />Larry's friend and co-author (and now sadly just biographer) Chris Ward has many hours of interviews with Larry already on tape. Larry and Chris had planned to get many hours on more but apparently God had other plans.<br /><br />So anyone with any personal stories of Larry from ANY period of his life ... the good, the bad ... the ugly (and it could get real ugly) that they would like to share with Chris for possible inclusion in the book would be more than welcome. <br /><br />Please feel free to email Chris at Lokisfur@aol.com and include a name, phone number and a brief synopsis on the story, how you knew Larry, etc.<br /><br />A heartfelt thanks in advance for helping us to soon share Indian Larry's amazing life with the whole world.<br /><br /><br />IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR FRIEND AND BELOVED HUSBAND INDIAN LARRY. WE'LL ALWAYS KEEP YOU IN OUR PRAYERS.<br />PLEASE SEND ANY DONATIONS IN MEMORY OF LARRY TO:<br />NATIONAL COUNCIL OF ALCOHOLISM<br />1675 WHITEHORSE-MERCERVILLE RD<br />SUITE 205<br />HAMILTON, NJ 08619<br />609-689-0121<br /><br />ASPCA<br />424 EAST 92ND STREET<br />NEW YORK, NY 10128<br />212-8<br />AUGUST 30TH, 2004

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Larry Desmedt, a legendary custom motorcycle builder and stunt rider who went by the name Indian Larry, died on Aug. 30 of severe head injuries he sustained in an accident. He was 55.<br /><br />Indian Larry was performing one of his signature stunts last Saturday during the Liquid Steel Classic and Custom Bike Series in Concord, N.C. He was standing on the seat when suddenly the motorcycle began to wobble. Unable to maintain his balance, Indian Larry fell off the bike before it crashed. He was not wearing a helmet.<br /><br />Born in Cornwall-on-Hudson, N.Y., Indian Larry was a teenager when he bought his first motorbike, a 1939 Harley Knucklehead, for $200. He took it apart and spent the next nine months learning how to put it back together again. He later moved to California and apprenticed under hot rod builder Ed "Big Daddy" Roth.<br /><br />The tattoo-covered metal-sculptor and motorcycle mechanic launched the Brooklyn-based Gasoline Alley motorcycle workshop in 1991 and devoted the rest of his life to creating and riding "old school bikes." Several of his custom-built motorcycles won awards, including the "Grease Monkey," which was named Easy Rider magazine's Chopper of the Year.<br /><br />Indian Larry also performed stunts in movies ("Quiz Show," "200 Cigarettes") and on television. He was a featured artist on the Discovery Channel's "Biker Build-Off" series, and once rode a motorcycle through a wall of fire on "The Late Show With David Letterman."

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

he died doing a stunt at a bike show. he was riding standing up on the seat and crashed. he died of severe head trauma. i believe he is giving you and I the finger because he did not like us!

gaugeguy

Captain

The sign in the background of the portrait is from a local motorcycle rally point here in NH...Weirs Beach in Laconia.

KaGee

Admiral

It's a Biker thing, you wouldn't understand...<br /><br />I'm not a biker, and I don't understand...

Ralph 123

Captain

This is SO FREAKY! I was watching Larry again last night on the great biker build-off (Discovery Channel) - On the way to Laconia he was doing those kinds of stunts on the road... What a shame...

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

The story seems to be some back page news, but you would at least think "Biker Build off" would have posted some sort of tag on the show. :(

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Never could figure out the logic that it's against the law to not wear a seat belt in your car, but it's ok not to wear a helmet on a motorcycle on the same road.

phatmanmike

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> It's a Biker thing, you wouldn't understand...<br /><br />I'm not a biker, and I don't understand...
im NOT a biker, have never operated a bike, have never owned a bike... BUT I UNDERSTAND!

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

knobby,<br /><br />I guess there must not be enough people that ride motorcycles to make it worth the insurance companies' while to lobby/grease some congressmen/senators to pass the law. Since nearly everyone drives/rides in a car, the insurance companies saw fit to take away our right to make our own decisions. Yet if you fart in your car your rates go up. Insurance is possibly the biggest scam the world will ever see. Even worse than pet rocks.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

RIP Indian Larry....<br /><br />One of the greatest bike builders ever (if not the best) and a true artists.<br /><br />The bullsh!t that is passed off now as "choppers" and the crap from those Bozo's at OCC is a freaking joke.<br /><br />Indian Larry died the way he wanted to....on a bike.