DAKAR 2005

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The Dakar Rally 2005 highlights are being televised on the OLN network this year. Not as in depth as previous years, but edited for the US audience. <br /><br />Robby Gordon won 2 of the first 4 stages and was running at the top for the overall lead.<br /><br />Stage 6 - Gordon blasts into a hard bump while running all out in his VW Toureg. End over end then barrelrolls it 4 or 5 times.<br />Works like crazy putting the VW back together, but must wait for his support truck for a part. Looked to me like he needed 75 parts.<br /><br />He is now 8 hours behind the leader, with 4000 miles to go.<br /><br />The new US KTM motorcycle team is also doing very well, with 3 riders in the top 30 ( of 262 motorcycles).<br /><br />Anyone else following the rally?<br /><br />Approx. 9pm eastern, then repeated at approx midnight. Check your local listings.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: DAKAR 2005

Missed today's installment. Thanks for the update, Roscoe.<br /><br />Worth mentioning that Gordon is driving a VW Touareg with a DIESEL engine. Was clearly cleaning plow before the crash.<br /><br />No American has ever won a leg of the Dakar before in a 4 wheel vehicle.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

One of our channels had daily 30 min highlights as they happened. Watch it every year.<br />My favourite is the trucks.<br />Saw an interview with a Swiss biker year or so back. He said his greatest fear was hearing a truck approaching him from behind, and his 2nd greatest fear was when the truck overtook him. Didn't realise till then that the trucks on certain terrain are faster than the bikes.<br />This event is better than Formula One.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

checked it for a little bit here and there..<br /><br />one of the things outside the race itself that amazed me was they we talking of all the personel and contestants in this years rally and I recall there were @ 21,000.. some 3,000 contestants.. don't quote me on the #'s but it's what I recall at the moment.<br /><br />Here's to hoping someone from the US makes a stand this year.

KaGee

Admiral

Did I mention that the DAYTONA 500 is in 28 day???<br /><br />
18_5_4.gif

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Yea, but the season starts in just 19 days, Budweiser Shootout.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Did I mention that the DAYTONA 500 is in 28 day???<br /><br />
18_5_4.gif
NASCAR racing season is getting worse than Baseball..<br /><br />sooner or later a new season is going to start before the the prior year is even over ..

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> NASCAR racing season is getting worse than Baseball..
Only one difference... I could give a rat's pituty about basebrawl. <br /><br />Autoracing, for the most part, in particular NASCAR has not forgotten who it is that butters the bread. FANS! <br /><br />No single participant views themselves as bigger than the sport itself. Winning is truly a team effort. Cheating is punished severly. Good fortune plays an equal role to talent. Barring a weather delay or freak accident, you alwys know how long a race will take. Whereas Baseball, which should generally last a couple of hours, drags on and on and on....<br /><br />I believe if you looked at the calendar, NASCAR seasons pretty much blanket baseball's. After all, teams start reporting to camp in late February... don't they?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

KIWI PHIL, in previous years, we would get an hour long daily update, although it was delayed by a few days for television production reasons or licensing agreements.<br /><br />This year, we had to wait till the race was over. This week, they are broadcasting a condensed highlight program. <br /><br />A very sad day in stage 11. May he rest in peace.<br /><br />Barlow, I believe the number is 2100 total.<br /><br />I kept up with the daily updates, as they happened, via the internet.<br /><br />Don't worry, I won't tell who won.<br />But I will say that some racers finished 96 hours (4 days) behind the winner.<br /><br />Ever wonder what is left of a Toyota 4Runner when it barrelrolls at 125mph, for 150 yards on a rock pile?

KaGee

Admiral

Ever wonder what is left of a Toyota 4Runner when it barrelrolls at 125mph, for 150 yards on a rock pile?<br />
No, but after a trip to the body and frame shop, I'll bet you could find it on Ebay!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

quote by roscoe:<br />
Barlow, I believe the number is 2100 total.
ha ha ha , right roscoe.. I got a little zero happy ;) <br /><br />soo .. 300 contestants? :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

490? or 570? vehicles total in all catagories.<br /> http://www.dakar.com/2005/us/r1_partants.html <br /><br />Stage 7, a 400 mile desert run, turned into a real nightmare for all. The leaders got to the finish line after spending 14 hours in the desert, and a huge sand storm. Many gave up. Even by noon the next day, many vehicles were still lost. Stage 8 was cancelled and the day was spent rescueing others. By the end of stage 9, there was still one driver that had not been seen since the start of stage 7. <br /><br />Day 10 is a day of rest and mechanical repairs. <br /><br />Day 11 will be a hard one to watch on tv (tomorrow night), since I know that a racing great will lose his life.