Dairy Prices FYI

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Here's a little food for thought next time you hear someone spouting off about the cost of a gallon of milk. <br />Dairymen get paid in the neighborhood of $12/100 wght on milk or about $1/ gallon keep in mind this is whole milk...where butter, cream and cheese come's from before they sell it to you as milk. This is the same price they were recieving for it 40 years ago also. Keep in mind milking is done twice a day seven days a week with no vaction, it takes dedication to be a dairy farmer. The price of milk is now starting to go up for the first time in fourty years, I say it is about time they get a raise. When was the last time your income increased,less than fourty years ago i'll bet.<br /><br />The cost of processing and the cost of transportation have went up but not the price the farmer has gotten for it. Please think about this the next time you hear the grumbling.<br /><br />I am not a dairyman but I do live in dairy country and have some family in the business and I say if anyone is due for a raise it's these hard working people.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Dairy Prices FYI

Things are not as black and white as you make it seem.<br />There is the North eastern dairy contract which protects New England and by now also NY farmers and gives them a decent price for the milk.Where a dairy cow produced 12000 pounds of milk 40 years ago,todays cow on average will produce anywhere between 20000 and 25000 pounds a year.This means a big decrease in capital investment per pound produced although turnover is a bit higher.<br />Yes I do much respect dairy men and women, but things are not quite as black as they sometimes seem to be.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Yes rolmops I'll conciede that BUT...The overall cost of production for the farmer has also increased, No one is holding the line on equipment cost's, land, feed, etc... If they sell they can recoupe some income but most just keep on milking, It's just how they were raised.

18rabbit

Captain

In California the cost of milk is regulated…it is a “fair-trade” item. Dairy farmers know to the penny what their income will be…and it ain’t a bad business to be in. :) <br /><br />Also, California is the only state that does not allow the selling of any milk that comes from a cow … it must come from two cows. :) Whole milk isn’t good enough. Milk from the 1st cow is separated and parts of that are added to the whole milk of the 2nd cow…and that is what is sold as ‘milk’ in here.

gonfishn

Commander

Nothing like a cold glass of milk to go with the dunkers at hand..

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

That's very interesting 18rabbit. I would like to know more about that. Anywhere I can look?<br />Bassy

NathanY

Commander

I dont care if milk goes to $100 a gallon or $0 a gallon, I dont drink it or support it in any way. Dairy framers are just as bad as OPEC, or the Debeers cartel. Also Milk is one of the worst things you can put in your body. If you want proof, and clinical studies and statistics, just ask. Too many to post here.