Daily Driver AC advice needed.

OneFineFiftyNine

Seaman Apprentice
Hey gang,

I'm replacing the AC compressor in my 99 Chevy S10 this weekend because the old one started making a lot of noise and quit. (Back in 2004) The system also has no freon in it now; on the back of the compressor where the lines attach it is very evident that there was a large leak there.

I know to replace the accumulator/reciever dryer and the orfice tube as well.

I have a few questions. For one, do I need to flush out the system, and what is the best way to do this? I would assume if the compressor ate itself that the system would need to be flushed.

Also, when I put the new compressor on, do I need to fill it with oil first? I already have several cans of R134 but none of them contain the oil charge.

I have a coworker with a set of gauges and a vacuum pump so I can take care of charging the system there.

Thanks everyone, as usual I really appreciate it.

Coors

Captain
Re: Daily Driver AC advice needed.

Yep. it has to be flushed. I flushed mine and blew it out with air, then vacuumed. Are you sure there is no oil in your r 134? There was in what I bought.

dolluper

Captain

Your seals should sit in the oil before you install them{new ones}If your using cans of freon by simply turning the can upside down ,the oil inserts in the system as all cans come with oil added

OneFineFiftyNine

Seaman Apprentice

imported_coors: How did you flush the system? Can it be done using an air compressor, flush and a bit of creativity?

dolluper: Wow, I did not know that. So I can just use the oil in the freon cans, I don't need to put any in the compressor itself?

dolluper

Captain

No not realy ,now the shock comes>> you have to buy a pricey bottle of ac oil and depending onyour compressor model is the amount you use,it is also the oil you use to put your seals in before you install them.....and yes after your system is all installed you have to evacuate the system {usually with evac pump} then refill to your system spec's or use a termo in the vents

OneFineFiftyNine

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again dulluper. Sorry if I am confused, I am having an off day. I have to buy a bottle of AC oil to soak the seals, but I don't have to put any in the compressor when I install it?

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Never heard of the soaking the seals bit. Can you explain why?
--
Stan

Coors

Captain

I pulled the accumulater off, loosen the hose at the radiator, poured in the flush, let it sit, then blew it out with air, kinda messy, though. Then I did the same with the condenser.

Coors

Captain

Yeah, I forgot, I replaced the compressor and had to buy some oil.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

If the compressor has oil in it, I recommend draining it out. If you drain it you will see why. The system NEEDS to be flushed. You can purchase a flushing fluid from a local parts supplier, as well as 8oz cans of oil. I recommend disconnecting all componants and flushing the seperate componants (condensor, evaporator, and hoses) as this will keep contaminants from being dispursed to other parts of the system. Giving a lot of attention to the condenser, as that is where most of the failed compressor parts will settle, flush untill flushing fluid exits clear. If your S10 has a 2.2L engine with a V7 compressor it requires 9oz of PAG oil, a 4.3L with a HT6 compressor requires 8oz of PAG oil. Put about 4oz of oil in the compressor then install/share the rest into the individual componants. Lubricate seals and fitting threads with Mineral Oil 525 viscosity. Evacuate and recharge with 2lbs of R134.

NOTE; Before recharging or turning compressor on, rotate it by hand to make sure there is not an abundant amount of oil on top of the compressor pistons. If it's sluged with oil damage could occure on initial startup.

OneFineFiftyNine

Seaman Apprentice

Wow thanks for the advice, Reel Poor, and everyone who has chimed in.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Using air to blow out an AC/refrigeration system is a no no. Especially with R134a systems. POE and PAG oils can be contaminated with moisture within 15 minuets of an opened system.

You can use the air in initial clearing of the lines, but do not blow air into the compressor.

Always use nitrogen for blowing a system out. It only takes a drop of water to freeze in the orifice stoping the flow of freon. This causes high head pressure on the compressor and can cause failure.

POE & PAG oils are not compatable with mineral oil. Do not mix the two.

As suggesed, get the right product for flushing the system. No short cuts or your system will have premature failure.