cylinder leakage test

ferg57

Cadet
first of all i would like to thank every one for there input on my last posted question. would someone tell or direct me - on what to do & look for when preforming a cylinder leak test. i have made the equipment to do it. would just like to know the procedure,an what to look for be it good or bad. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Racer

Cadet
Re: cylinder leakage test

Well I have never done this on an outboard, but I am guessing the procedure is the same as on a racing engine.

Put the piston at TDC. You will want to put 100psi into the cylinder. If your setup uses 2 gauges, the first gauge should go to 100psi and the 2nd gauge will be lower. Subtract the 2 and you will have your % of leakage.

If you only have 1 gauge, set it at 100psi and then plug it into the cylinder. Subtract the reading and you will have your leakage.

As far as how much is too much, I can not say for sure. On a race engine 20% is way too much but the engine will still run decent. On an outboard I would say if its over 40% then you have a problem for sure.

Hope that helps, if anyone else has something to add or correct, feel free.