Cut or replace?

IFlyAZ

Cadet
I purchased a truly clean 2002 Stingray 200LS a couple years ago. Original owner was OCD and installed many extras. One of which was the trailer, an Extreme brand tandem axle, tandem brakes, SOLID steel rectangular tubing with gussets and plenty of supports. The damn thing weighs 2000 lbs. by itself. Would love to replace with a Venture Aluminum 5225 or typical channel style frame trailer weighing in closer to 10-1100 lbs. Big hassle (and cost) trying to trade. My other option is to use my plasma cutter on the aft facing panels, turning the rectangular tubes into channels, then repainting the exposed sections. Potentially could remove 500+ lbs. Would be a ton of work, but cost should be minimal. The Extreme is rated for something like 8000 GVWR. The boat is only 2900lbs. Total overkill....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You can go too small and have issues. But you can never go too big.

If you have problems with your car pulling it, get rid of it. If that's not an issue be thankful that you have a great rig.

IFlyAZ

Cadet
You can go too small and have issues. But you can never go too big.

If you have problems with your car pulling it, get rid of it. If that's not an issue be thankful that you have a great rig.
Nah, I have a practically new Ford Ranger 4x4, turbo, nearly 300 HP, 285 torque, ten speed trany. Total towing is rated for 7500. I figure the rig is something around 5000. Just think it silly pulling around some 1000lbs more than necessary. Would prefer to trade out. Used for used. Would be easier if not located in Phoenix. Not the boating mecca of the country for sure. Thanks for all the input..!