curious

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
I put these oval aluminum anodes on the toons this early spring . The mercury outboard has factory installed aluminum anodes also. I've owned the boat for almost 7 years. It has always been operated in fresh water, river and lakes.
I've never had any marine growth until now and I didn't think you got these types of little critters. Curious what they are and why they're just interested in these anodes only. They are not on the mercs' anodes or on the toons anywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_2246.jpeg
    IMG_2246.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33

tphoyt

Ensign
I’m not sure about fresh water but in salt that would be considered normal corrosion of the anodes doing there job as a sacrificial item.
They may have more or less zinc than the ones on your motor.
I wish by boat would stay that clean.

tphoyt

Ensign
That’s what it looks like to me but have have never had to deal with fresh water growth or creatures so I can’t really say for sure.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
They look like barnacles to me!
Are you sure it hasn’t been in salty water recently?

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
They look like barnacles to me!
Are you sure it hasn’t been in salty water recently?
It's my boat. No,... lake, river only. Actually, just river. They were there when we took it to the lake last week...
That's what I think, barnacle/barnacle like........and just on these two new anodes.....

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
They do look a bit like barnacles. Pick at them a bit and see if there is something inside or just corrosion.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
boat's an hour away getting a new cover and upholstery......so not accessible....
that's why i posted on here.......kinda weird....

airshot

Rear Admiral
Mineral deposits that have attached themselves to the anodes. Due to a reaction the minerals attach themselves to the anode, I see this alot from our well water.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
ok...funny not attached to the engine anodes.....but the engine is tilted up when not used, guess that is why...