Curbside Takeaway

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There are several Curbside Takeaway places around here. You call your order into the restaurant, show up 15 minutes later, and they bring your food out to your car.<br /><br />Do you tip the person that brings you your food?

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Curbside Takeaway

Its kinda like the person delivering my pizza. I give him/her a couple bucks.<br />Bassy

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

So then, when you go thru the McDonalds drive thru, and they tell you to pull to the side and wait 2 minutes, somebody runs the bag out to you 7 minutes later, Do you tip them too?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, but I can't tip someone that walks maybe 20 feet or so to bring out an order I called in and the cook/s made.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I won't tip since it is a curbside pick-up. Now if it is where a car-hop takes/delivers my order, then a tip is included.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

America is too obsessed with tipping. Like hairdressers, barbers, taxi drivers... they chose this for their job, they get a wage. Why are we expected to supplement their income with a tip.... stupid tradition. So do I tip? Oh sure, just like everyone else....sigh.

eeboater

Commander

Ugh... ok I need to chime in here... You NEED to tip these people, and here is why...<br /><br />My brother has been a Server at Outback Steakhouse for the past 3 years and he explained this to me in detail.<br /><br />The people who run the curbside takeaways do more than simply walk the order out to your car. Here is what they do:<br /><br />1. Take the order over the phone.<br /><br />2. Enter the order into the system.<br /><br />3. Prepares all drinks ordered.<br /><br />4. When the orders are ready, they server preps the order and puts it into the small take-out containers that you get when you pickup.<br /><br />5. Bundles all the stuff into bags for you.<br /><br />6. Walks to your car (regardless of weather) and gets your credit card/cash<br /><br />7. Processes the cash.<br /><br />8. Walks back out to your car with the food.<br /><br />So, what is the difference between what they just did and what a server does when you are sitting in the restaurant eating? The server in the resturant takes away your salad/appetizer plates and refills your drinks. That is the only difference between the two jobs. Heck, sometimes the servers in the restaurant don't even run the food out to you since most of those restaurants have "runners" which are simply servers that aren't busy at the moment and run the "ready" food out to the table waiting.<br /><br />Another reason you should tip is because the take-away people get paid the same amount that a regular server makes, a tip-based wage. In Wisconsin it is $2.33 an hour.<br /><br />See, the problem with that is that most people don't realize they are getting the same wage as a server and as such they do not tip the take-away person. So, a take-away person can go a whole day making $2.33 an hour, plus a very minimal amount of tips. Then at the end of the day guess what, tip share. Oh yeah, they take ten percent of their tips away to give to the Bartender, hosts and bus people. <br /><br />In my opinion, they should be given a tip for all the reasons stated above. I give them 20%. There's more going on than just a 20 foot walk to the door of your car.<br /><br />Sean

D

DJ

Tip. 20%<br /><br />You betcha.<br /><br />Walking out in the AZ heat, is enough for me.<br /><br />I'm a heavy tipper.<br /><br />Besides, I don't use these "convenience" items much. They are NEVER on time.<br /><br />It boils down the delivery persons attitude. Attitude and freindliness is EVERYTHING to me.