CRUNCH!!

mollyog74

Seaman Apprentice
My husband & I just bought our brand spank'n new FW 230 horizon & couldn't wait to get it in the water. We had been shopping for the "perfect" boat for 4 years and the anticipation and excitement were at an all time high as we pulled the shiny new baby off the lot. <br /><br />Took her out for her maiden voyage the next day. My husband was extra cautious trailer'n her as 24 feet behind us felt like 100. He has tons of trailer experience, including from NY to CA 9 years ago, but this was our baby behind us and nothing was going to ruin this maiden voyage. <br /><br />So we get to the launch ramp and my husband makes the U turn, trying to cut it a little close so we can pull the boat straight onto the dock. Eyes are on the boat and mirrors at all times. Then it happens. <br /><br />CRUNCH! <br /><br />My husband & I both with tears in our eyes freeze. Neither of us wants to look. Everyone on the docks has stopped what they are doing & are staring. <br /><br />Finally my husband gets outta the truck to examine the damage. While he could see the fence railing, he didn't see the concrete piling that held the fence in place. It stuck out another footand was about 3 foot high. Yikes! <br /><br />The good news...<br />Gel Coat intact... Phew. <br /><br />The Not so good news...<br />The trailer was thrashed, and fender bent so bad the whell couldn't move. Bystander helped us hammer out fender, and the boat was in the water within 20 min. <br /><br />Boat was great in the water and no other problems.<br /><br />Coulda been worse. But when we heard that crunch all we could think was...Our Beautiful Baby had just been mutilated.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: CRUNCH!!

I feel your pain. Last year, I had launched the boat and was returning the trailer to the parking area. I had to make a 90 deg left turn around the end of a parked trailer. The bunkboard material, on that trailer, caught my eye and I was studying it as I attempted to make the turn. You guessed it! I cut it too short. The left fender, on my newly renovated trailer, caught his right taillight bracket. It lifted his trailer right up over the top of my fender and back down again.<br /><br />I was lucky. It just broke his lite assy and bent the bracket but I had to get out and pound the fender out away from my wheel. All this after 30 years of driving boat trailers. Stuff truely does happen.<br /><br />Hopefully that is the last mark you will put on you new boat package.

Link

Rear Admiral

Welcome to IBOATS Molly<br />Congrads on the FW230. Nice well made boat. Used to sell and demo FW. One of my duties included picking up boat trailers and bringing them to the marina. Been doing this for years and never a problem. On the way back I pulled into my favorite coffee shop for ice tea to go. Between my boat and demo boats Ive pulled at least a 100 plus boats through this parking lot and I know exactly how far out to pull before turning. WHAM!!! then SHREAK! With no boat I put that trailer right up over and wedged a three foor steel pole between the tire and fender! I forgot it was a 30ft triple axle and turned to soon.<br />Its trailer boating and stuff happens :) <br /><br />Link

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

The upside of the first scratch is it takes the trauma out of the next one :D

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was pulling through a Wal-Mart parking lot near us having just picked up some ice and all when I cut one of the turns a little too close and the trailer wheels caught one of the curb/planters in the middle of the lot. My boat's pretty tall with too high a center of gravity on the trailer, so even though I was going slowly, it started rocking hard. I could see it in the mirror rocking on one wheel, then the other. I was just paralyzed watching it come within seemingly inches of turning over. It was pretty scary. It was preceded by that bumping, creaking sound that I swear I could hear long before I felt the jolt, knowing instantly what it was. I was lucky. Very lucky. It sounds like you were too. ;)

JM05

Cadet

What is it with these folks that gather at the boat ramps? Do they just enjoy the seeing the boats or is it the possible opportunity to see someone panic?

ebbtide176

Commander

yes jm, if you look back thru the old posts, you will realize that boat ramps provide much entertainment for people watching for stupid human tricks. kinda like watching semi-trailer haulers learning how to back up the load. :) <br /><br />its not funny to the owner, but then, you get to realize how the need for experience can be shared by everyone. :D

mollyog74

Seaman Apprentice

Everyone stared, some came to help, some came by a fact finding mission...Hmmm new boat? Oh how much you think thats gonna cost? Ever trailered before?.... Etc Etc. You gotta get the scoop so you can post it here. Its a lot easier telling about some one elses SHT than your own. LOL<br /><br />All jokes aside, although boaters may be lookie loos just waiting for a little entertainment, for the most part, they are also the friendliest group of people you will ever know. Someone will always help.<br /><br />On the highways people flip you the bird. On the waterways people will wave or nod.

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

people watching on the ramp,people watching you drive of the first hole in golf,very nerve wracking sometimes