Crownline or Maxum???

MJG24

Seaman
Re: Crownline or Maxum???

The quick answer is Crownline, but those are two very different boats in size and age.

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1994 Crownline that I love. Well made boat that has never left given me a problem. 69 hours seems really low for a 97? Has the boat been used recently?

european bakery

Recruit

I have a 1994 Crownline that I love. Well made boat that has never left given me a problem. 69 hours seems really low for a 97? Has the boat been used recently?[/QUOTE]

I dont no which boat to buy. The owner of the crowline has two other boats, so he didnt use the boat often. Its hasnt been in water for 2 years.

southkogs

Staff member

Check condition on both boats. There could be all sorts of problems with a boat that's been barely run and sittin' idle for years. Then again, the Max coulda' landed the worst 100 hours of duty any tub ever saw. Looks like a 26' vs. a 21' - not exactly an apples apples comparison there either.

Which are you attracted to the most? And why?

tpenfield

Staff member

Crownline . . . So long as there are no show stoppers.

european bakery

Recruit

Check condition on both boats. There could be all sorts of problems with a boat that's been barely run and sittin' idle for years. Then again, the Max coulda' landed the worst 100 hours of duty any tub ever saw. Looks like a 26' vs. a 21' - not exactly an apples apples comparison there either.

Which are you attracted to the most? And why?

I think i am more attracted to the crownline, It has more of a classic, sleek look to it. It has an emergency bathroom which is nice. And its very spacious lots of people could fit in it. Also it has a powerful engine. 415 Horse Power.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

uh I love my Crownie but....

Whats with the 502? that wasn't a factory option in 97 so what gives?

Whats the condition of the boats?

Otherwise as others have said this is not an apples to apples comparison the 266 is a whole bunch more boat and a whole lot faster as well were talking a 60+MPH 26' boat here, but on the other side if you do purchase the Crownie I will trade you for my 7.4L MPI straight across.....

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

we had a late '90's Maxim and it was a very nice boat .... it performed well

Jim

eng208

Seaman

I would have to go for the crownline all the way. Those are nice boats. Probably a repower so just check it out good first. If it is solid, you will love it. Never grow out of a boat like that.

sktn77a

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You need to decide what you want from a boat. If you want the features and utility of the Crownline, you won't get that in the Maxum, and vice-versa.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Any chance these boats have links so we could have a look at them?

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thinking you should decide on what size fits you best in this case. Do you want a 21 foot or a 26 foot? Big difference on what those boats can do better. Trailer a lot, maybe you want the 21 footer. What kind of water will you run on? Big lake or ocean the 266 would be a better boat. ect.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you have a tow vehicle to pull the Crownline ? It will take a 3/4 ton minimum. I would buy the 21' unless you were specifically looking for a big boat.

HCMQA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just spent the weekend on the same model Maxum (Not real sure of the year but I believe it is close)
The Maxum has no wood in it. It also has a pump out potti in the console. Extremely roomy boat for its size and it handles real well. It also has thrusters. (1 bow and 2 stern)
This one was a 5.7 MPI Bravo 3.
Maxum's are no longer made. (They were made by the same company that Makes Sea Rays and Bayliners)
$20k is too high even if it has all of the above noted options.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I would go with the Crown just for the 502...you can never have enough hp. in my eyes. My next boat will have at least a 502; old motor head.