Crownline 180br 2010 wiring help

Steven_106

Cadet
Hi there

Needing some help finding the wiring diagrams for my boat, 2010 model with a 3.0 mercruiser fitted, since I’ve owned the boat the Speedo has never work, the rpm gauge hasn’t worked and the hours are not clocking up, so I am wanting to fix these,

The wiring under the dash is an absolute mess I am going to re-do this as I want to make it user friendly and simple, but to start I am chasing the best place to get the manuals for my boat or even the wires I should be looking at to get my RPM working.

Many thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Speed-o comes from a rubber tube from the drive to the meter. Check the drive hole (very small on front edge of drive) if its clean. Also see if the line from the lower drive to the transom is connected. If all connected, gauge may be the issue

Your boat has next to nothing which will help solve the issue. Crownline and many others do not have manuals for the hull. There are wiring diagrams for the motors.

What is your motor serial number?

Steven_106

Cadet
Thanks for the reply,
Speedo is pretty straight forward, I’ve checked the hole at the leg and the vacuum hose to the Speedo I’ll check it next time I am out, does it work on a vacuum or pressure?

Also had a look at the wiring at the distributor, all seems fine there,
On the back of the rpm gauge I have live, earth and the signal wire from the distributor, this signal wire changes to live once motor is running but nothing reading on the gauge, also in the same gauge is my hours which hasn’t moved since I’ve bought it, I am leaning towards a new rpm gauge.

Thanks Steve

Attachments

• AD826F1A-2492-4D26-9D2A-23E5886464C7.jpeg
    AD826F1A-2492-4D26-9D2A-23E5886464C7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pitot tubes work on pressure

its most likely not your tach. most likely wiring issue

tach's have ground, power, and the frequency input from the motor which is a switching ground.

if your signal wire is going hi, you have a wiring issue. most likely at the coil. the grey wire should be on coil -

alldodge

Staff member
Need the serial number of the motor so can provide correct info of the wiring

Steven_106

Cadet
Need the serial number of the motor so can provide correct info of the wiring

I had a look at the sticker on the engine but the numbers for the serial number have rubbed off.

I just need to do a check from the coil to the back of the tacho, might just run a dummy wire to check also to determined if its my tacho playing up.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Look at the serial number tag riveted to the block just above the starter

Steven_106

Cadet
Also another one is this the horn the red push button? as the wires do not seem to be going to anything..

Attachments

• 269940615_10159551761178006_9140372182795181375_n.jpg
    269940615_10159551761178006_9140372182795181375_n.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 271312352_10159551761098006_7239686562990558045_n.jpg
    271312352_10159551761098006_7239686562990558045_n.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
The Tach comes from the - side of the coil to the Tach sense and is Gray

The wires in the pic are not from the motor but part of the boat wiring. Most boats don't have diagrams that can be found. Need a voltmeter to see which have power, or if they get power when the key is turned ON. Then trace where they go.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Tachometer signal source is from the motor. The hour meter is simply a clock powered by the ignition power wire.

Mercruisers have a single wiring plug on them. The tachometer wire is a particular color, likely grey, in that harness. I would look on the ignition module or coil and see if you can locate it. Now look under the dash where the mercruiser harness is opened up to wire to the ign key, neutral safety switch and gauges. The tach will get ign power (likely purple wire), and ground (likely black wire), plus the grey tachometer wire. Make sure the tach is set on the 4 cylinder position for a 3.0L motor.

The hour meter is run off the ign power wire, plus ground. I would expect the hour meter to be connected to the purple wire at the motor. Maybe at a terminal block. Maybe it is corroded? Maybe the ground is bad?

After a while the grounds can get corroded, as they are usually bolted to the cast iron block, which rusts easily.

Steven_106

Cadet
Tachometer signal source is from the motor. The hour meter is simply a clock powered by the ignition power wire.

Mercruisers have a single wiring plug on them. The tachometer wire is a particular color, likely grey, in that harness. I would look on the ignition module or coil and see if you can locate it. Now look under the dash where the mercruiser harness is opened up to wire to the ign key, neutral safety switch and gauges. The tach will get ign power (likely purple wire), and ground (likely black wire), plus the grey tachometer wire. Make sure the tach is set on the 4 cylinder position for a 3.0L motor.

The hour meter is run off the ign power wire, plus ground. I would expect the hour meter to be connected to the purple wire at the motor. Maybe at a terminal block. Maybe it is corroded? Maybe the ground is bad?

After a while the grounds can get corroded, as they are usually bolted to the cast iron block, which rusts easily.

thanks for the dettailed replied, so the hour meter is displayed but the hours have not changed since i have owned it, check the signal wire and this is changing a you adjust rpms , (greyish colour) and the purple (live) and the black (earth) all are present and are doing what they are ment to do but still nothing so i am going to order a replacement gauge.

Steven_106

Cadet
I had a look at the sticker on the engine but the numbers for the serial number have rubbed off.

I just need to do a check from the coil to the back of the tacho, might just run a dummy wire to check also to determined if its my tacho playing up.

Serial number is 1A012097

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks 3.0
Wiring is correct but the pic shows a one wire oil pressure switch (doesn't show the black ground)

Attachments

• 3.0 EST wiring.jpg
    3.0 EST wiring.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 4