crossing big wakes

Rickfifty

Seaman
Having been a lake boater for years, I haven't been across wakes bigger than a couple of feet. Lately I've been going out in the bay and there are large vessels & ferries that put out wakes several feet high. What is the best way to approach these? I've been hitting them at about a 45 degree angle at a slow speed.Or just running like heck when possible. Still getting tossed around and it's a bit unnerving.<br /> I'm in an 18' bowrider by the way.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: crossing big wakes

Huh, spooky. I was just reading this old post right before I read yours:<br /> Wakes and Waves post<br /><br />When getting hit by a giant-tug-at-full-throttle wake, I normally go for close to 90° (head nearly straight in).

Rickfifty

Seaman

Thanks Paul, I should have searched. Lots of differing opinions! It just seems to me that if I hit it at 90 degrees, the second one will fill my bow. Guess I'll keep experimenting. Or avoiding...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The USPS (United States Power Squadron) instructs you in its Boat Smart class to approach the wave at about a 45° angle, and to experiment to find out what is best for your boat. It is a no-no to approach head on as it can cause a nose dive under the next wave.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> It is a no-no to approach head on as it can cause a nose dive under the next wave.
Agreed...we just had the annual Tugboat races in Puget Sound, and if you leave it straight in, the people in the back of my Cuddy are gonna get REAL wet...45 degres and go with the roll

crab bait

Captain

that's the thing about wakes,, they come in 3's.. it's not just the one..<br /><br />believe me,, there can't be any place worse for wakes then the chesapeake bay.. it is 'wake city'.. <br /><br />slow down but don't stop an at a 45 deg angle.. you'll be fine.. you'll 'surf' right over..<br /><br />after while,, it'll be old hat..

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Slow and at 45 is the way to go. Keep enough power on to make sure the wave dosn't turn you broadside.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I'll give the 45° a try next time.<br />Would this apply to sailboats too? I'm thinking that a violent roll is probably harder on the rigging and keel than a bow slap/dig in. It seems worse anyway.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Seems like there is a consensus on this issue. How about another question along the same lines?<br /><br />When you are following directly behind a large cruiser, and you want to pass him, how do you cross his wake, and where do you start the pass?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Personally as far as I am concerned ,you cant make a rule that applies to every case because each event is different.I run into ferry traffic each time I boat and I approach each wake differently depending on if the wake is immediate or from a ferry that has passed 100 yds away.There are plenty of times I can run almost parallel and ride over the series of waves and there are times when the ferry has passed close to me and the only way to go is to raise the bow by trimming the drive,raising the tabs and throttling down a bit and going 90 degrees into it.as I stated ,each time is different so you cant really make a rule that applies to all cases.Charlie

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sailboats have another complication - depends on your position vis-a-vis the wind - particularly if you are before the wind a big side-to-side pitch through a wake can cause you to gybe or catch the boom... Running close-hauled is usually safer and you can cross at 45 just like a powerboat, but again, you don't want to be thrown in irons and have no steerageway to deal with the rest of the wake.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

To answer Chris,when following a large cruiser you dont want to be too close when passing.You should be far enough that their wake has already crested and is more like a swell,you should decrease speed and trim up to raise the bow and go 90 degrees into it like riding a following sea.Dont go too fast or you can come off the top of the wake and and stick your bow under the next wake.Charlie

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Slowing down for a wake and approching at 45 degrees -- seems to work fine. But it's also a good idea to throttle up just a bit as the bow hits the wake, in order to power through it, countering the force of the wave with the force of your motor, thereby maintaining more control, especially in the case of smaller boats.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the reply Charlie. I tend to like to get close behind the lead boat where the wake is closer to the end of the lead Boat's transom. It seems to allow me to decisively power though the wake and pass the boat. Also, some of the channels are real narrow, and I need to stay close to the boat I am passing, since they are in the center of the channel. I approach the wake at slightly more speed then the lead boat, cross the wake and then roll on the power to complete the pass before oncomming boat traffic can interfere.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Sounds like a bit of a risky maneuver Chris but it sounds like you have done it a time or two before so be careful when passing .Where I come from the "lead" boat usually winds up doing some one finger sign language to a passing boat when it is that close.Charlie

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Also you gotta watch the wind direction if you have a very light boat. My son once decided to cross a big wake at 90 degrees in an inflatable into a stiff wind and came very close to being blown over upside-down when his hull went nearly vertical riding up the front surface of the wave and the wind caught it. He admitted he was probably going too fast, but I also think in that situation that 45 degrees would have been safer.