Crocodile Attack

Kiwi Phil

Commander
In the Nth part of our State, a Croc (4m and 300kgs (15'? and 600lb+ - i think) came out of the water at 4am, and went in to a tent, grabbed the guy and dragged him out. Wife grabbed the kid in the cot. Grandma came out and pounced on the croc to stop it getting the bloke to the water. The brother in law came out of his tent and shot it.<br />What a mess. The bloke and Grandma were in really bad shape.<br />They got a chopper in, (was in the area with a vet on board),got them out to a strip so the Flying Doctor could get to them and fly them out.<br />Apparantly they set off their EPIRB. <br />Saw Grandad saying he drove 5hrs to the nearest Station (cattle I guess) to get help.Pretty remote area.<br />Make you think twice about camping next to a billabong for the night.<br />Seems they will all survive.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Crocodile Attack

Yea Kiwi, puts a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Camping out"

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dang yall got some tough water holes there. here at my "water" hole you just have to duck the occasional pool cue,<br /> I saw it on the news and think grandma is very brave or crazy :) :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good for grandmaw. :) <br /><br />You grow them tough down there.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> "billabong" ???
I thought that was what ya brewed tea in! :D <br /><br />and hey, what was the BIL doin, runnin around loose with a GUUUUUUUUN for? Lucky they didn't throw him in the klink? :eek:

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can only imagine BIL having the rifle along was just for that reason, to hunt meat or protect them from animals. There's a few nastys out there mate! I have camped Around in the outback and wouldn't dream of going without a rifle to say the least! Don't forget a rifle can be used for many reasons, signaling, hunting, protecting, and lighting fires.<br />Wish my grandma was like that, I reckon she deserves an award!<br />Ross

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Ross J:<br /> Don't forget a rifle can be used for many reasons, ........and lighting fires.<br />
:D How?<br /><br />A billabong = mud puddle. Its a small piece of still water often slimy and yuk, often (but not always) attached to a river or creek.<br /><br />Aldo

SoulWinner

Commander

Camping seems to be a LOT more popular in AU/NZ than anywhere else in the world. When I was looking for a truck from that region I was amazed at how many trucks and SUVs were outfitted with camping kit. I saw many vehicles that were advertised as haveing circunavigated AU in loooong camping trips!

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Aldo<br />You ask HOW? - to light a fire with a rifle - <br />Using the trusty ,multitool pliers twist the projectile off and this leaves you with a cartridge full of powder. Tip 1/2 of the powder onto a tissue or paper or whatever and place that into the fire setting where it won't get blown away. Stuff a wad of cotton or tissue or whatever that'll burn into the cartridge with the remaining powder, aim at the fire from about 5 feet away and fire. Presto, you should have expelled a flaming ball into the fire that'll ignite the rest of the powder in the fire and with good fire skills the rest is up to you.<br />I must say this is something to practice first as too much powder left in the cartridge will blow your fire away instead. It's served me in an emergency well!<br />Ross

Dunaruna

Admiral

Ross, your post brought memories flooding back, we used to do that at school with 22s'! 5 weeks of afterschool detention sure cures you of a facination with gunpowder :( <br /><br />Aldo