Crock dill pickles

one more cast

Captain
The last few years I have been trying to come up with a recipe that taste like the pickles my Grandma made when I was a kid. I started a batch 3 days ago and if they taste as good as the smell I think I have a winner. Heres what I used for a 2 gallon batch.<br /> 14 cups water<br /> 1 cup canning salt<br /> 3/4 cup cider vinegar<br /> 2 TBS pickling spice<br /> 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper<br /> 5-6 large cloves garlic (slightly crushed)<br /> 5-6 heads of fresh dill<br /> 3 green grapes and 2 wild grape leaves<br /><br /> fill crock with cukes and cover with premixed cold brine. put a weighted plate on top to keep the cukes from floating and let stand for about a week. Put pickles in jars, cover with brine and refrigerate.<br /><br /> ps. I posted this on iboats and now when I can't find the recipe all I have to do is hit search. ;)

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Crock dill pickles

OMC - looks good. I'll file this for future (next spring) reference. Thanks :)

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I love them kerosene cucumbers :D <br /><br />I'll try your recepie and see how they come out ;) :D

one more cast

Captain

Give me about four more days and I'll let you guys know if they are any good or not. They should have a salty,garlic,dill flavor with a hint of vinegar. Something like the Claussens from the grocery stores.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

One More Cast, it's almost the same as my Baci's {grandma in Polish} but she used a couple of slices of rye bread in the crock, nice to see some one else use grape leaves,,,,,,,,

one more cast

Captain

My wife's son and his girfriend are staying with us for the week and they tried the new batch yesterday. I may not have any left to put in jars when the time comes.<br /><br /> Blu Lunch, Now that you mentioned it I almost think my Grandma put rye bread in the crock also.

one more cast

Captain

Well ended up with 5 Qts.in the frige. They are a little salty so next time I will cut the salt back to maybe 1/2 cup and add a little more vinegar. The true final flaver won't come through for a month or so.

one more cast

Captain

Update... The pickles are getting better with age. I only have one quart left so I will be starting another batch tonight.I am going to cut the salt by 1/3 cup.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

curious.....why are pickles green? I suppose it's because they start out green, and so forth.<br /><br />But in this day and age of specialty "foods", how about "brown" colored pickles?? Imagine one of those laying next to your burger or brat :)