Crime and Abortion.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
This is from researchers from the University of Chicago.<br />We all remember how terrible crime was in the eighties and then in the nineties it became less and less to the point where crime rates are fifty percent down from their peak in the eighties.In fact,even during the crack plague of the early nineties, crime was going down.Researchers checked whether it was because of stiffer prison sentences or a reduction in drug abuse and some other reasons why this might be,but nothing was really important enough to justify the drop in crime.<br />Then one researcher looked outside the box and looked at the fact that the highest crime rate always has been among unloved and unwanted children who grow up in a hostile environment.Then he combined this with the legalisation of abortion in 1974.This legalisation greatly decreased the numbers of unwanted children and,so he argues,these children would over the past fifteen years have reached their prime time as far as criminal activity is concerned.As we see,crime did go down.We know that many of these children were never born because their mothers used their legal right and had abortions.<br />It seems that the legalisation of abortion has had far reaching effects that have not been considered in public places, mostly, because it would not be expedient for politicians to touch this hot potatoe.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Crime and Abortion.

Very interesting, rolmops.<br /><br />Hardly proof, but certainly an intriguing possibility.<br /><br />Now if we can just keep women from getting pregnant with unwanted children we will have advanced a lot.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

JB, you are so wise. Seriously.<br /><br />Now <br /><br />If only....

NathanY

Commander

Maybe they didnt get abortions maybe all those public service announcements about safe sex paid off?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Doesn't matter how it happened, as long as it happened. Less unloved, unwanted children then less young adults who hate the world. Got to be a good thing all round, ah.<br /><br />Chris..........

rogerwa

Commander

Let's assume this "correlation' is valid. <br /><br />If we murd, excuse me, abort 100 unwanted babies and we avoid 5 violent crimes that would have been committed by these unwanted babies (this is assuming a very generous 5% ratio), does this justify the denial of life to the otherwise innocent 95 "unwanted" babies? Does this mean the 5 lives that woiuld have committed these crimes were unworthy to live?<br /><br />Assuming this correlation is valid, you are totally looking at the wrong thing. The problem is irresponsible sex and the inability to be responsible for ones actions. The baby does not deserve to die to pay for the mothers sin.. oops too religious.. transgressions.<br /><br /><br />Just Twisted logic.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

What if one of those violent crimes was murder or rape? Does that change you're thinking Roger?<br /><br />I agree with you about irresponsibility and consequences of ones action, but let's look at 'inactions' as well.<br /><br />Chris........

rogerwa

Commander

Nope.. Doesn't change a thing. The premise here is that the unwanted child is treated differently than the wanted child and thus becomes an offender. I wonder how many unwanted children will not be able to be great inventors or leaders or invent new vaccines. That is far harder to measure.<br /><br />There are a lot of nasty rapists and murderers that are products of loving environments.

ufm82

Abortion is a violent crime, albeit legal at this juncture. <br /><br /><br />Just think- we could abort ALL children and soon there would be no more crime. Sounds logical to me. :confused: <br /><br />UFM82

PW2

Commander

I am, as many of you would be surprised to learn, against abortion. I have always practiced responsible sex, and have ingrained in my children the same thing. I would always counsel my daughters against abortion if it were ever to become an issue.<br /><br />That is my opinion.<br /><br />However, I don't think I am qualified to make that decision for all others, and I choose not to make it for others. That is what choice, in a free society, means.

JB

Let it go, dudes.<br /><br />It is merely a coincidence of statistics and a possible correlation.<br /><br />There is no way this conversation is gonna make anybody happy.

Bondo

Staff member

Plywoody,...... It doesn't surprize Me that We Don't Agree............<br /><br />But,..... As Conservative as I am,....... I turn My back on the GOP on This Issue,............<br /><br />I Believe it's a Personal Decision........ Period........

Ralph 123

Captain

Good thing lot's of white people didn't feel the same way about slavery PW...<br /><br />"Gee, I think it's wrong and I'd never own slaves but who am I to tell others what's right and wrong?"<br /><br />Gee, why have any laws at all? Let's all just do whatever we like.

JB

Lots of whites did feel that way, Ralph. North and South.

demsvmejm

The "Right of Choice" , as it pertains to abortions should only be the right to choose whether or not to have sex. As I told my son when he got to that age (at 13 in today's society :( ) you have no choice but not to have sex. Because if the girl gets pregnant, she and only she has the choice. The choice of ruining your life by having the child or by aborting the child, however you want to look at it. Fathers have vigorously fought for the unborn child, swearing to want nothing more from the mother, except the child, and the child was aborted. Because it's the mother's right. <br />If life does not begin until birth, how can the slu, woops, woman be a "mother" when she has an abortion? Now I do feel differently when the pregnancy is the result of a rape or incest, or if there is a medical certainty it will mortally harm the mother. It's about responsibility. But abortion allows women, and men to be irresponsible. It creates a society where sex and children are "convenient." If it is inconvenient to be pregnant, have an abortion, go out and get knocked up again, and have another one. A friend of my wife had two or three while she was in med school. But did she stop spreading her legs? NO!! And the father wasn't the same for all three. Only one/two were with a guy she had a long term relationship with. The other was with a guy she dated for a short time.<br />And, if I remeber right, Beethoven's mother was counseled by her doctor to have an abortion. Maybe it was Mozart. Either way it was a great composer. If she had aborted, think of the beauty, the culture we would have been deprived of.

Ralph 123

Captain

Agree JB but lots more did care and a lot of blood was shed over a moral principal. All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Just ask the Germans.

D

DJ

Just think, some of those "unwanted" children may have also held the cures for cancer or held the idea of non polluting energy.<br /><br />But, as long as it was "convenient"-many are happy.<br /><br />Sounds, to me, like a researcher trying to justify something. That is not valid research-agenda based.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

This might be one of those topics that should be handled with kid gloves. The abortion issue is one that generates very strong feelings. My view is that the feds have no right to tell a woman what she can and cant do with HER body. <br />Thats all I got to say.<br />Later,