crestliner fuel fumes in storage compartmets

wrenchboy

Cadet
crestliner fuel fumes in storage compartmets

I have a 1999 crestliner TS182, second owner. I bought it from a dealer, where it was used for tournament fishing. But getting to my question, when I open the storage hatches I get a fuel smell. Not overpowering, but still there none the less. From what I can tell the vent is hooked up. I'm wondering if this is common with this model or brand, or if anybody else had and fixed this problem. I would go back to the selling dealer, however there track record was not the greatest. Thanks

D

DJ

Re: crestliner fuel fumes in storage compartmets

Mr Crabbs,<br /><br />Those symptoms should not be occuring.<br /><br />I had a Palm Beach Center Console that I chased a fuel smell in for six months. <br /><br />It turned out to be a hairline slash in the vent line at the tank end. It seems that when they cut the hose, they sliced it and then decided to cut it at a longer length. It was so hard to find because it was facing down and was pinched somewhat closed. I found it by removing the hose.<br /><br />With a new boat, I seriously doubt your tank is leaking. However, I would look at all connections very thoroughly.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

This could be a serious safety issue.Even if the dealer has a bad rep.,I assume he would not want the liability and should be happy to fix it rather than get sued when you blow up!! Charlie

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Probably the first places to look would be the fill and vent hose(s) fittings and connections.<br /><br />Perhaps a leaky filler cap or mud dawber plugged up the vent. You might see dampness or some slight staining.<br /><br />If all else fails you might be able to find an auto shop with a smog machine or exhaust gas analyzer with operator they can supply at shop rate$$$. <br /><br />Then with a strong, or large fan for clearing the area of fume, very slightly pressurize the tank and start probeing with the machine. When it hits the gas vapor it will indicate such.