Credit problem advice- any lawyers?

mtumilty

Cadet
I was added to one of my ex-wife's :mad: credit card making it a joint account in 1991. We got divorced in 1993 and she filed bankruptcy earlier this year leaving me with this bill. I didn't even remember signing anything so the company provided me with a copy of this update form that didn't specify terms. They said the form came with the terms. The thing that really gets me is it may be legal, bit it doesn't seem right. It also seems bad for business since my family members still live in that area and will stop spending their money there and will encourage their friends to do the same :D . So I think that department store will actually lose money in the long run since the bill was only $360. Who knows :confused: ? Any idea??? If you need more info here's my email: tumiltym@tampabay.rr.com <br />Also if you live in the PA, NJ, NY, DE or MD and you want to stop giving your money to a "family business" who operates more like a "big business" shoot me an mail and I will give all the details you want ;) .

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Credit problem advice- any lawyers?

Chances are that the "store" has nothing to do with this.<br /><br />Credit collecting agencies often try to coerce people into making a payment an "old debt". If you make a payment of any size, it will become current debt, and then will be documented on your current credit report as bad debt or late payment. Then it will be on your report for another 7+ years. Do not make any payment until getting legal advice.<br /><br />Key to the problem may lie in how old the debt is, when you were divorced, if the debt wasw incurred while still married, if your ex-wife ever had your name removed from the account, etc.<br /><br />The only info you should provide the collection agency is that they will be held civilly and criminally accountable for any erroneoous information they may add to your credit report.<br /><br />They may nor be able to do anything to you, as you were divorced over 11 years ago. The joint account may have been severed in the divorce.

mtumilty

Cadet

Actually it is the original company, when I challenged the collection agency they referred me back to the company. I spoke with people from the credit department right up to a senior VP. All the research I have done shows that divorce has nothing to do with credit, even if it is in the decree :( . The latest is if I pay $291 they will consider it paid in full, waiting on the letter now. Legal advice and court costs would cost more than just paying it so that probably won't be an option. I guess the company sees it as losing money when in reality it has already cost them $750 in sales that I purchased when I was home for my brother's wedding in July, not to mention my parents, brother and sister-in-law will not shop there any more ;) . I know if I was in business I would rather lose $360 than lose at least 4 loyal customers who would spend much more than that in the years to come. Who knows :confused:

rwise

Captain

Ok, I have a question, when you split did you have your name removed from the account? If not you may well be liable for anything she put/s on it! Been there.<br />Richard

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Is your wifes bankrupcy turning up on your credit report now? <br />Your main concern should be to protect your credit rating, you may need a loan in a year or two and you do not want this showing up.<br /><br />If your name is showing up on ex's accounts in the bankrupcy papers, your rating could go south no matter what you do now.<br /><br />Good Luck, be careful what you sign.<br /><br />Might be best to have someone anonymously pay off the account in full.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Just pay the bill, the problem is between you and you ex, the store shouldn't have be the loser in this. It's not their fault that you din't take your name off the account...just a thought :)

PW2

Commander

You need to consult a lawyer who knows what he is doing in this area. Pay his fees. It will be the best value you will ever get to maintain a little peace of mind.<br /><br />When it comes to credit reports, and debt collectors, and the like, "what is right" never enters the equation.