Crazy Tohatsu tacho

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a tohatsu tach for my 90hp. At lower rpm's, it reads all over the place. Once up and going (over 3000rpmish) it reads consistently. I have set it to the suggested pole setting. Does this sound like a pole problem or an interference problem? The booklet with it said with Tohatsu's, sometimes you need to put a .1mf, 100 volt non polarized capacitor between the signal and ground stud terminals due to strong alternator interference. Should i try this?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Crazy Tohatsu tacho

Faria used to make a tach that you had to put a capacitor on in order for it to work on a Tohatsu...even when you did that it wouldn't work. You really need the original equipment tach on that model engine. It has the low oil warning light built into it.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its the faria! It was sold to me by the tohatsu dealer as well. So there is no way to get it to work?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Not that we ever found. We tried with four or five tachs back in the early 90's and they were all screwy. I would think , that by now, they would have fixed it, but.........

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice

Elvin-<br /><br />I just got the Nissan/Tohatsu tach that I ordered from you (for my Tohatsu M50D) and it seems to work fine. Thanks

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bertschb, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your tacho ? I might have to get Elvin to put one on a plane for me if the tohatsu guys here cant sort it out...

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice

I bought the tach and trim gauges for about $125???. I think the tach was around $65 (+/- $10).

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just thought id give a quick update. I wired in the capacitor as recommended and it has made it heaps better!! Maybe they have sorted it...