Crazy sticky throttle/shifter!!

Scott Traub

Recruit
2007 Glastron 205 GT, Volvo Penta 5,0, side mount throttle/shift. When shift/throttle arm is in neutral, button depressed, it moves freely forward and backward. When shift/throttle arm is engaged, button released, it is CRAZY STIFF both forward and reverse for the first few inches and then loosens up somewhat. Is this a shift cable issue? Do I try to re lube them or do I need to replace entirely? Help appreciated as fairly new to the boat scene, but like to solve and do minor stuff myself.

Krueges3

Cadet
You can try to lube but you may want to try adjusting the linkages first. They may be too tight.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The shift cable can either be worn or you may have a tight bend or twist in it. To verify, you can rule out individual components at a time. First, disconnect the shift cable from the linkage at the out drive and verify the out drive itself shifts smoothly without the cable attached. If you have a SX out drive, the linkage connection will be underneath a plastic cover at the top rear of the out drive- it has three 10mm bolts holding the cover on and the linkage itself is connected with a cotter pin.
Next and with the shift cable disconnected at the out drive, try moving the throttle control arm forward and backward, checking for binding.

Depending on access, try to follow the path of the shift cable from the throttle control arm to the stern and through the transom, looking for tight turns or binding.

Next, remove the throttle control arm from the boat and disconnect the shift cable to see if the binding is limited to the throttle control arm or not. You'll need to do this step anyway if you have to replace the shift cable so its not wasted effort.

Most likely the shift cable is shot, but the hardest part about replacing it is pulling the throttle control arm.