Crankshaft sound?

BrianD1973

Seaman Apprentice
Soooo, check out this video and see what you think this could be? Wondering if someone that has had this issue can easily identify this noise due to the engine and possibly symptoms that may have caused it....

Background - This is a 1986 Mercruiser 170. Have had the boat 34 years (36 years old). Did have the speedi sleeve work done to the camshaft back in 2014 after read info on the common issue and noticed some antifreeze in with the engine oil when checking dipstick... Was investigating antifreeze dripping from engine... I'm suspecting that may have been going on for a little while before noticed/fixed and the results are now starting to appear... The boat only goes out a couple times a year and is stored under cover on land... Thinking crankshaft bearing/s? Recently took to boat mechanic and he had no definite answers but has worked on these engines before. Said engine appears to be harder than normal to turn but other than the sound, runs good and compression checks good... noticed the sound last year and under the engine cover it is barely noticeable... He took drive unit off so do not think the sound is coming from the drive. I thought originally that maybe just the starter pinion gear was rattling against the flywheel. Just happened to stick my head to the back of the engine recently and noticed it's definitely more pronounced with the cover off and ear near the stern. Possibly louder with engine cover on than last year the one time I took it for a weekend trip which maybe caused me to look closer this time?

Related? 2019 heard some starter noises when starting just a couple times. 2020 getting it ready for season and starter definitely broke while attempting. Wrecked the starter, have pictures somewhere... defect in starter or possibly if engine is harder to turn, did that cause the starter issue? Some metallic parts from starter housing, cast aluminum I suspect fell into the flywheel housing. I tried to fish them but yeah, a magnet isn't going to help that situation... I don't think this noise is any of those chipped parts jingling around... definitely sounds like the shaft.... mechanic stated heard a little bit of noise from the front of the engine too.... I have yet to fire up and listen closer there....

Bondo

Staff member
2020 getting it ready for season and starter definitely broke while attempting. Wrecked the starter, have pictures somewhere... defect in starter or possibly if engine is harder to turn, did that cause the starter issue? Some metallic parts from starter housing, cast aluminum I suspect fell into the flywheel housing. I tried to fish them but yeah, a magnet isn't going to help that situation... I don't think this noise is any of those chipped parts jingling around... definitely sounds like the shaft....
Ayuh,...... Not a sound I've ever heard from a crankshaft,.....

My best guess is broken starter parts bounin' 'round under the flywheel cover,.....

BrianD1973

Seaman Apprentice
Previous starter

Attachments

• IMG_20220901_142631705_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220901_142631705_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220901_142638912_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220901_142638912_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Based on the pics I'd say there's metal flying around the flywheel cover

Remove the inspection plate and look for broken parts and wear.

BrianD1973

Seaman Apprentice
more info on inspection plate? Not currently looking at engine but diagram? easy to access? remove without pulling engine?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
more info on inspection plate? Not currently looking at engine but diagram? easy to access? remove without pulling engine?
Kind of. It's under the motor at the forward side of the flywheel. Most likely easiest by pulling the motor

BrianD1973

Seaman Apprentice
Sounds like the starter isn't fully disengaging.
That's what I initially thought but the sound definitely isnt near the starter and doesnt seem to be coming from around the flywheel housing... It definitely is odd.

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sounds to like broken bits and pieces bouncing around and bangin between the flywheel and trans housing. Would be the first place I would look.

BrianD1973

Seaman Apprentice
I think mine is similar to this. Might be able to take off without removing engine. Is there a gasket for this too?

Attachments

• gb516217078-47542-mercury-mercruiser-stern-drive-gm-ford-v8-flywheel-inspection-cover.jpeg
    gb516217078-47542-mercury-mercruiser-stern-drive-gm-ford-v8-flywheel-inspection-cover.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 6

Bondo

Staff member
I think mine is similar to this. Might be able to take off without removing engine. Is there a gasket for this too?
Ayuh,..... Sometimes,.... If there is, toss it overboard,....

BrianD1973

Seaman Apprentice
Welp, 3 of 4 bolts were pretty easy. Still able with small arms and hands to get 4th bolt without removing engine. Sure enough, a few small pieces of previous starter were on the bottom of the boat... WIN!!! Started it up, teeth look fine on flywheel and sounds much quieter. Thank you so much for all your input. Case closed!

Attachments

• IMG_20220922_120814334_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220922_120814334_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220922_122151514_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220922_122151514_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 14

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Welp, 3 of 4 bolts were pretty easy. Still able with small arms and hands to get 4th bolt without removing engine. Sure enough, a few small pieces of previous starter were on the bottom of the boat... WIN!!! Started it up, teeth look fine on flywheel and sounds much quieter. Thank you so much for all your input. Case closed!
Nice, thanks for the update! Not sure how necessary that cover is to begin with

BrianD1973

Seaman Apprentice
Figure I will keep it off for a trip or two at least (let anything else smaller drop out but looks ground pretty much to dust) but figured there probably is a reason to have it on? If I can skip putting it back that would be nice but best of both worlds probably would be to spend the 5 minutes to put it back on with the 3 easy bolts and leave the hard one off. Almost got arm stuck back there on that one! haha

flashback

Captain
Probably there to limit liability if you stick your hand in there while the engine is running...
LOL

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Nice, thanks for the update! Not sure how necessary that cover is to begin with
It also helps seal the starter from any sparks that make their way to the Bendix area from igniting fuel fumes, that's why it has a gasket. I see not much of a need for the gasket but the mfg puts them in. The cover itself is to protect you if you reach down there while running. Also I saw one at the shop that sucked up and rag and got twisted/shredded around there.